IGNORED

Stick coil issues - R1150RT

AndyS

Well, I had an incident today. The bike sounded a little rough but didn't think too much about it. Just into the last mile or so and could smell an acrid burning smell. I looked down at the lefthand cylinder only to see smoke pouring from the plastic cover. I stopped the bike and pulled the cover off. The last 1/2" of the stick coil came off with it....followed by yards and yards of wire from inside the coil!

Anybody else experienced this, or have any thoughts what may have caused it?

Well, I had an incident today. The bike sounded a little rough but didn't think too much about it. Just into the last mile or so and could smell an acrid burning smell. I looked down at the lefthand cylinder only to see smoke pouring from the plastic cover. I stopped the bike and pulled the cover off. The last 1/2" of the stick coil came off with it....followed by yards and yards of wire from inside the coil!

Anybody else experienced this, or have any thoughts what may have caused it?

Evening Andy

Yes, I have seen that (just once) after a friend of mine removed a very difficult to remove stuck stick coil using a string loop & heavy jerking pull.

He must have cracked the coil as it came apart similar to yours on his way to work next day.

What color is your coil, black or gray?

...... I stopped the bike and pulled the cover off. The last 1/2" of the stick coil came off with it.........?

So, if I were to notice running rough and smoking from that cover: then dont stopp and pull the cover? Keep going while still can....?

No. Stop immediately allow the coil to cool. Then, disconnect the electrical connector at the end of the stick coil. If you just carry on you may well melt that connector and it will cost you a lot more to repair.

I unplugged mine and just let the lead hang free. I rode home with the left hand cylinder running on the secondary coil.