IGNORED

Fuel Distribution Manifold

oreana123

My bike is back among the living! I finished the installation of a fuel distribution manifold after breaking one of the plastic lines while in the process of removing the tank for a fuel filter change.

I have an r1100r model. The mtx manual directed me to remove the tank, battery, and ABS unit. Never one to avoid a challenge, I started this afternoon, the first free time I've had since receiving the used part from the Beemer Boneyard, a source for less exspensive BMW parts.

I removed a lot of items to get good access to this manifold. I removed the throttle cables, which eventually led me to remove the throttle bodies and inspect the o-rings on the intake. I removed both of the rear brake lines, they are right in the way. When I tried to remove the ABS unit, there did not seem to be a way to disconnect the electrical wires, so I hung the entire unit from the handlebars using safety wire to keep the strain off of the wires.

I rebled the brakes, fore and aft (now I really know the system is flushed, 'cause I just did this prior to breaking the fuel line). By the way, the fuel regulator just sits in its place, it is only held in place by the fuel dist manifold.

You can hook up the fuel lines to the tank backwards, but it will not run! It is also possible to have a big air bubble in the fuel lines that requires bleeding, not unlike the brakes. I have a product called Fuel Lube that I use for aircraft fuel systems that greatly eases the assembly and disassembly of items that use o-rings for seals, like our fuel injector to manifold seal. It makes assembly and disassembly easier, and conditions o-rings. This is important in a system that has components that are not easily leak checked, like the regulator.

So, anyway, I resynched the throttle bodies, and after leak check, I took it for a spin. It runs great and now I can finish my 24,000 mi check. I just need to change the gear oil in the tranny, shaft and rear end, and hopefully I won't screw that up. John S Boise thumbsup.gif

Firefight911

Nice job!

There is a lot of satisfaction gained by doing your own work. Real sense of pride builder!

Congrats!

Archived