IGNORED

Engine fault light

kellenbenz

2017 R1200RT with 582 miles on it.

Rear ended by another motorcycle at a stop sign and falls over on right side. Damage to right pannier, right mirror, right valve cover, and top case. Engine fault light and yellow triangle (not flashing) on after accident.

Does this mean that the engine fault light will come on when the bike is dropped standing still and you will have to have it towed to a dealer to reset it if you don't have a GS911 with you? What if you are in an area where it is hard to access?

I am still waiting for the other person's insurance to have it towed to the dealer. I will let you know what I find out when it is repaired.

Does anyone know which sensors turn on the engine fault light?

Ron

Are you sure it is an engine fault light?

There could be other issues after dropping a bike that might cause a warning light. Such as a tipover switch being activated, or something causing a wire to come loose for a sensor or switch. Such as one of the panniers not making contact with the bike due to something bent ( on auto lock bikes for instance ). Could be low on oil? Did oil drain out? I wouldn't ride the bike without knowing what it is.

No fluids spilled from the bike and it doesn't have the central locking. According to the rider's manual "The engine control unit has diagnosed a fault". It will start and idle fine but not go much above an idle.

I also did the 600 mile service since it is sitting in the garage waiting....so the oil level is right.

Thanks,

Ron

Edited by kellenbenz

The engine fault light will not come on due to a tipover by itself. I unfortunately tested this the day my R1200R wethead came home from the dealer. I dropped it at low speed in my patio (long story) and it slid a couple of meters. I picked it up put, replaced a broken clutch lever and have ridden it 10,000 km since with no lights until the 10,000 km service warning started.

Sorry to hear about you and your new bike...real bummer. Just bought a new car and got rear ended at 300 miles...Argghh..

It might be the 600 mile check light. BMW has some times programmed for your service light. It comes on annually for sure and if memory serves me right at other service intervals. I can't remember if mine came on at 600 miles or not.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Not revving much past idle means something serious is wrong. Dealer time.

I wonder if it could be something in the throttle assembly since it fell onto the right side...

Edited by realshelby
2017 R1200RT with 582 miles on it.

Rear ended by another motorcycle at a stop sign and falls over on right side. Damage to right pannier, right mirror, right valve cover, and top case. Engine fault light and yellow triangle (not flashing) on after accident.

Does this mean that the engine fault light will come on when the bike is dropped standing still and you will have to have it towed to a dealer to reset it if you don't have a GS911 with you? What if you are in an area where it is hard to access?

I am still waiting for the other person's insurance to have it towed to the dealer. I will let you know what I find out when it is repaired.

Does anyone know which sensors turn on the engine fault light?

Morning Ron

No, in most cases the bike can fall over many times at standstill & they start & run just fine after the bike is picked up. If allowed to lay on their side for along time some oil can seep into the low side cylinder & cause smoke or poor idle after re-starting.

Lots of things can cause a problem like you are seeing from a fuel pump getting knocked loose due to the fall to a TPS sensor getting hit by a falling riders boot, to oil fouling the air filter, to the electronic throttle getting jammed into the pavement.

In your case if it fell on the R/H side with force & now it will only idle then my first guess would be that you somehow damaged the electronic (fly-by-wire) throttle system. (any signs of a hard hit on the handlebar end?)

As far as engine sensors effecting your current problem? That would be most of them.

Thanks for the input DR. There is no sign of the throttle even hitting the ground and the action of twisting it is totally smooth throughout it's range. The other party's insurance is dragging their feet and the bike is still waiting to be delivered to the dealer.

It only took about 2 minutes before we had the bike upright and there was no smoke when I started it.

Thanks again,

Ron

Assuming you have insurance, I would contact them. It means a black mark if they find out about it, even though it is not your fault ( called an incident to them ). But, they will step in and take over. Meaning their lawyers will contact the other persons lawyers. I will tell you that if there is no Police report, it can get ugly. The "other guy" seems to remember things differently as time goes by.

This.

Time isn't your friend.

The longer it is OK for them not to do, they won't.

Sorry to hear about your sore neck/back and legs...

The RT finally made it to the dealer yesterday. If anyone has Safeco insurance (owned by Liberty Mutual) be aware that their customer service is horrible.

I'll update the cause of the engine fault light when I hear back from the dealer.

Ron

I just received a call from the service manager at the dealership. He said that the fault was due to the throttle calibration being off.

I guess this tells me that you had best keep the GS911 on the bike to be able to reset it and not be stranded. I am not sure if the fact that it is a 2017 EU4 model has anything to do with it.

Other than that the parts are being ordered for the repair.

Ron