IGNORED

Philips 432666 7W LED for Motolights.

ESokoloff

The Rocketman

I use these currently in 3 sets of Motolights and they work just perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-7-watt-50-Watt-Indoor-Dimmable/dp/B00IKUDSSI/ref=sr_1_1?m=A1OKQR6K61KBEK&s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1440707379&sr=1-1&keywords=k7l9&pebp=1440707382988&perid=18ZFM5AW37K42W81VM0E

See if you read this thread:

http://www.chromeheads.org/index.php?threads/motolights-alternative-led-bulb-review.10361/

If not....

Kobi LED MR16-560-50-NFL 6 watt LED (50 watt equivalent) 25 degree Narrow Flood bulbs. The spec sheet shows them as 5000K (super White for sure); 560 Lumens (super Bright for sure); a bulb life of 25,000 hours; and with a 5 year warranty. The Kobi order code is also K7L9. They have a GU5.3 base with an aluminum housing. (I ordered LED-MR16-400-50-NFL but received the 560's instead which I think is just 20 Lumens brighter).

For those of you with MotoLights using wide beam spread Halogens, this bulb is a winner. It fits just fine inside the MotoLights housing with all the standard gaskets, glass cover, etc. The 2 bulbs will only draw 12 watts, as opposed to 100 watts with the Halogens, have no filament to break and run absolutely cool, as compared to the hot halogens.

Best of all, I picked these up direct from 1000bulbs.com for only $ 9.99 per bulb, plus $ 9.93 shipping. You could save about $5.00 in shipping if you order it through 1000bulb's Amazon site. They offer a 30-day money back guarantee if you don't like them. You just pay return shipping.

1000bulbs.com link:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/113272/LED-MR1640050NFL.html

Edited by The Rocketman

Thanks for that Rock.

I think I'll stick with the Soraa's as

(A) They are 10° Spread (stock Motolight 35W are 12°)

(B) They have a CRI of 95 & I'm not sure what difference a CRI of 80 would make but I do a lot of dark riding & I want to insure I see details as accurately as possible.

© They are a Californian based company so i feel better keeping some $$ in the state.

(D) They offer 3000k color. I have amber fog lights, a cool white low beam (5000k or so) & im looking for something in between for the Motolights as I believe in variety to help stand out (conspicuousness).

A few days ago, I noticed one of my bulbs out & that got me to thinking about an LED upgrade.

Today it was back on so I might hold replacement off for a while.

I probably shouldn't wait too long as likely there is a loose connection that's not going to get better with age :P

Dave:

TY so very much for the clarification on that. My Clear Water Darla's just arrived today so I know what I am doing over the next few days.

Hi guys. Question. You are using indoor housing lights on a motorcycle? What type of housing are you using to plug them into. Does water infiltrate and affect the bulbs ? Or am I missing something here ?

I'm interested as I don't feel like spending $300. for auxiliary lights. Thanks.

Hi guys. Question. You are using indoor housing lights on a motorcycle? What type of housing are you using to plug them into. Does water infiltrate and affect the bulbs ? Or am I missing something here ?

I'm interested as I don't feel like spending $300. for auxiliary lights. Thanks.

Motolights are a machined aluminum light (waterproof housing) specifically designed for motorcycles.

They take a standard MR-16/GU5.3 bulb.

13+ years ago they were about the only option but today there are many.

You might find something here that will work for you (in no way is this an indorsment as I have no experience with any of these product.

Edited by ESokoloff

Thanks for shedding some light on the subject. I'll check them out. My main concern is for some light being directed into the turns . Is the beam width on these light broad enough , or are they more focused for straight ahead illumination ?

The Rocketman

Depends on which bulb you get. Some are floods, some are spots, and they all come in varying degrees which will determine the spread. You can mix and match too. Perhaps a narrow spot on the left, and a wider flood on the right.

Anyone know if these will fit?

I'm thinking not.

Likely I'll end up using these.

I'm not using those particular bulbs, but I've been running cheap MR-16 LED bulbs from eBay in my Motolights for years. They work great for conspicuity, but don't throw much light down the road -- which is what I was shooting for.

I found the Motolights to be terrible driving lights: if they were aimed high enough to help with vision, they blinded other motorists (I was constantly getting "flashed" by oncoming vehicles). If they were aimed low enough as to not annoy other motorists, they just made a big bright spot right in front of the wheel -- which I found made it harder to see the road ahead.

I used common LED MR16 bulbs found at Lowes,Home Depot etc when I had Motolights.

No issues with those bulbs,but look carefully when shopping,as some bulbs have a large heat sink that may not fit the Motolight housing.

JR356

Edited by JR356
Anyone know if these will fit?

I'm thinking not.

Likely I'll end up using these.

I'm not using those particular bulbs, but I've been running cheap MR-16 LED bulbs from eBay in my Motolights for years. They work great for conspicuity, but don't throw much light down the road -- which is what I was shooting for.

I found the Motolights to be terrible driving lights: if they were aimed high enough to help with vision, they blinded other motorists (I was constantly getting "flashed" by oncoming vehicles). If they were aimed low enough as to not annoy other motorists, they just made a big bright spot right in front of the wheel -- which I found made it harder to see the road ahead.

I'm hopeing keeping with a tight spot of 10° will allow light to be thrown far enough to be useful & tight enough to not adversely effect oncoming vehicles.

I believe the stock bulbs are 12° spot & I don't get flashs from on coming vehicles.

some bulbs have a large heat sink that may not fit the Motolight housing.

JR356

The Phillips offering sticks out a substantial amount which was my concern regarding fit.

The Soraas should fit with no problem.