IGNORED

Gear oil

RaymondO

just changed Gear oil on my '05 R1200RT---no noticeable metal but a very reddish tint to the fluid?? Use bike and best I can tell--has not been changed in 45K miles.

replaced with LandRover 75/90 Gear oil. Is there need for concern with the color?

Thanks

Ray in Va

just changed Gear oil on my '05 R1200RT---no noticeable metal but a very reddish tint to the fluid?? Use bike and best I can tell--has not been changed in 45K miles.

replaced with LandRover 75/90 Gear oil. Is there need for concern with the color?

Evening Ray

Probably nothing to worry about. BMW sold a reddish colored final drive gear oil for a numbed of years & that always left a reddish looking gear oil at drain time.

Not much can that can go wrong with a 1200 final drive that turns the gear oil red.

Hi Ray,I've had gear oil in the past that had a red tint right from the bottle (Kendall synthetic). Since you are a newer member just checking, did you re-fill with revised spec 180cc of oil instead of the original spec of 230cc?

Edited by sardineone

Sorry, I should have remembered this, but I thought I heard you say once that you never saw a final drive go (R1200RT) that didn't leak first?

Is that right?

Mark

Sorry, I should have remembered this, but I thought I heard you say once that you never saw a final drive go (R1200RT) that didn't leak first?

Is that right?

Morning Mark

I guess you have to define the term GO. I have seen a number of 1200RT final drives that had failing crown bearings that didn't leak. Probably would have eventually leaked if ridden far enough on a bad bearing but they get pretty noisy & growly long before leaking.