IGNORED

Dobeck TFI Performance Mod for my 2002 R1150R

paulywog60

I have done my research and have decided to purchase a Dobeck Performance TFI Tuner for my 2002 R1150R.From what I see it should give me the most bang for my performance buck while keeping the install simple.

Does anyone have any experience with the TFI install?? If so, I would welcome any suggestions on installation and tuning for maximum results. GBYD! Paul

I have done my research and have decided to purchase a Dobeck Performance TFI Tuner for my 2002 R1150R.From what I see it should give me the most bang for my performance buck while keeping the install simple.

Does anyone have any experience with the TFI install?? If so, I would welcome any suggestions on installation and tuning for maximum results. GBYD! Paul

Morning paulywog60

At one time (long ago) the TFI was about the only game in town as far a reasonably priced fueling modification for the BMW 1100/1150. The TFI helped with surge elimination as long as EVERYTHING else, fueling control wise, was set up correctly. It sure didn't add any power or top speed to the bike & needed a lot of playing with the adjustments to get set up somewhat correctly.

The best thing going at the moment as far as ease of install, function, fuel enrichment where it's needed, is the AF-XiED as it works WITH the o2 sensor to modify the fueling.

When researching the TFI look for any RECENT data or recent posts on it's effect (you won't find many helpful posts in the last few years as the AF-XiED is a MUCH BETTER device to modify the 1100/1150 fueling.

You might put AF-XiED in the search box at the top here & read a bit about how well it works.

I got rid of the old Techlusion (4 pot) unit and bought the single adjustment AF-Xied for my 03 R1150RT.

I couldnt get the old one dialed in.

Sorry that doesnt help you much.

One of the best features of your bike's ECU (its Motronic) is its ability to continuously monitor the results of combustion, and therefore keep a tight control on the quality of fueling. In order for Dobeck fuelers (and Dynojet Powercommanders) to add fuel, they disconnect the O2 sensors, disabling the Motronic's ability to monitor and correct.

Units like the AF-XIED use a different approach, they shift the O2 sensor richer and let the Motronic figure out how to add fuel.

If you have already purchased and can't (or don't want to) return the Dobeck, the best thing you can do is reset the Motronic to clear its learned corrections (called long term trims). That will give you a repeatable baseline for tinkering with the Dobeck adjustments.

Not sure how you did your research as I haven't seen anyone talking about the Dobeck in years.

The best two mods I have been seeing is the AF-XIED and the replacement of the injectors with matched ones from the R1200.

This forum and the ADV forum have some of the most active tuners of the 1150.

+1 on all the advice for the AF-XIED. I've used it and it works perfectly with zero tuning effort. If you've already purchased the Dobeck, see if it can be returned.

Ok guys ~ I have not purchased the Dobeck yet and am going back to study hall to bone up on the AF-XEID ~ this is way we post right...?? Many thanks for the input!!