IGNORED

Made website in MS FrontPage. How to edit in Expressions?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

I made my website many years ago using the free Microsoft FrontPage HTML editor that was bundled with MS Office XP. FrontPage has since been discontinued, and the recommended replacement appears to be Microsoft Expressions - but I'm struggling to make it work. I would like to add pages to my site, but Expressions wants me to add any new pages to the navigation structure. I remember doing this in FrontPage, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do it in Expressions.

Any HTML experts here want to toss me a clue? :confused: Feel free to explain it to me like I'm five.

Should I be using a different editor?

Netscape used to allow you to edit/publish pages too. What Frontpage put out was often times VERY specific to IE.

I take it you don't know much about HTML and editing the pages with a standard text editor?

I don't know what your website does but these days its hard to get something that works reasonable on both desk and mobile devices so you may want to look at free sites to host your content.

Wordpress is a rather popular one with a lot of templates to change/update your content.

"Wordpress is a rather popular one..."

One what? What do you search for if you're looking possible alternatives to Wordpress? Thanks.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I take it you don't know much about HTML and editing the pages with a standard text editor?

Yes, I'm a hardcore novice. :grin:

For a few years now (since the demise of FrontPage) I've made very minor changes to a couple of my web pages using Dreamweaver, and yes, I've seen the HTML code in one of the windows. I know that it's possible to write HTML from scratch in a text editor, and while that may be fine for minor tweaks, I suspect that's going to get a little tedious for creating entire new web pages from scratch.

I don't know what your website does but these days its hard to get something that works reasonable on both desk and mobile devices so you may want to look at free sites to host your content.

Whatever fancy is, my website is the opposite. Each page is pretty much just text and images. There are a couple of galleries of projects (like this), and a couple of pages for selling the Mojo (no e-commerce through my site; I direct visitors to contact me via email, and then they pay directly to me via PayPal or with a personal check). I've never worried about crafting something mobile-specific.

For now, I'm just looking to add pages to my project galleries, and want to have them be consistent in style with the other pages that are already there (same banner/fonts/backgrounds).

FrontPage was nice because it understood that the whole collection of pages was one site, and when I told it to "publish," it only uploaded the pages that I had actually updated. I can't see how to make Dreamweaver understand that this whole collection of pages constitutes a single site (to be managed as such). Expressions seems to get that it's a single site (it somehow knows about the navigation structure), but I can't seem to add new pages to that site.

Hand coding pages, one by one, would get old really quickly.

Dreamweaver... well I don't know what or who it was really targeted for... Its a big ass hammer for what you're looking for.

Frontpage was nice for the 'just want to get it out there' sites and people.

Expresions ... I had to go look it up :-)

I'd go troll around Wordpress - and the link given above for alternatives. One thing you might need to do is step back from your navigation layout and see what the other sites offer and see if you can make it fit.

Oh ya, I hand edit but use php to avoid much of the tedious bits.

I started with the original FrontPage so I understand your frustration with some of the new tools. You might look at KompoZer . I haven't used it but it looks to handle things similar to the later versions of FrontPage.