IGNORED

Tranny R&R

Bob_Minor

When removing an oilhead tansmission are the BMW guidepins really necessary? I assume the guidepins are to prevent bending the clutch rod but an extra set of steady hands to remove and re-install should be OK?

I am going to be stabbing my tranny back in tommorrow, and im sure it could be done w/o guide pins. But I went to the hardware store and bought 2 80mm bolts and cut the heads off. Should work just fine.

That's exactly what I did.

And, I had an extra pair of hands and, personally, I wouldn't try it without the guide pins. If you decide to use them make sure you put some grease on those suckers!!

Also, on my 99RT the hardest part of getting the tranny back in was getting the bolts that go into the bottom of the battery holder past the wiring and all. I know this sounds bizarre, but my wife came up with the brillian solution of taking a very stout kitchen spatula, greasing it up, and using it to help get the tranny past that tough spot. I've had mine out twice now and that technique along with the guide pins make it EASY!! thumbsup.gifteeth.gif

Just remember if you are replacing the clutch plate to put it in the right way DOH!! eek.gifbncry.gif

Good luck whatever you decide.

Cameron

Yeah you really need them. During reassembly it's a PITA, if not darn near impossible, to get up in there square and lined up to engage the input shaft without them. Plus you need a way to support it in place while you get all the bolts started. But as mentioned you can easily make your own.

BTW, remove the clutch rod before taking out the tranny, and re-install it after to prevent damage to it.

Sounds like I need them for installation but not so much for removal. What diameter of bolt shaft works well?

I don't remember exactly off the top of my head...but if no one else replies by the end of the day, I'll check the ones I have at home and get back to you.

No_Twilight

Sounds like I should buy a box of bolts and cut the heads off and turn a nice taper on the end and include a couple with the clutch alignment tools I'm making. I'll watch for a post with the size. Thanks, jerry

Sounds like I should buy a box of bolts and cut the heads off and turn a nice taper on the end and include a couple with the clutch alignment tools I'm making. I'll watch for a post with the size. Thanks, jerry

I think a lot of people would be very grateful!

Hi

What I did on my old RS was to use the "longer" screws in the "short" holes. Then when the tranny is all snuged up just put the long screws in the proper holes and tighten up everything. No need to have special screws. BMW provides them with the bike. Be sure the alignment dowels are in the right places. I have heard of these falling out during assembly. That will be mis-alignment for sure. If you are doing a clutch job: you don't need a fancy clutch centering tool, just leave the pressure plate screws loose and put the tranny in. Then tighten the screws evenly by rotating the engine. Working in the starter cut out.

Steve (been there done that) smirk.gif

Archived