IGNORED

Gas tank sealer/liner replacement

Whip

While doing my prevent maintenance on my 2004 GSA we (LimeCreek and I) found my tank full of paint chips.....or pieces of the sealer.

Soooooooo

Anyone ever use these folks?

Thanks

While doing my prevent maintenance on my 2004 GSA we (LimeCreek and I) found my tank full of paint chips.....or pieces of the sealer.

Soooooooo

Anyone ever use these folks?

Morning Whip

I haven't used that company but have re-sealed a number of motorcycle tanks in my life.

I am posting just as a caution to you-- to do that tank internal sealing correctly & permanently there is a good chance it could harm the external painted surfaces of the tank during the chemical treatment.

How bad is your tank inside? Is what you are seeing actually the liner coming loose or is the contamination from fuel added from a contaminated gas can?

Or is the stuff that you see in the tank actual paint chips from the area around the fuel cap?

Before making a decision you might remove the tank, then totally (& carefully) clean it out of all fuel & junk. Then use a small strong light inside the tank to look around to see how bad it is inside the tank.

If the tank liner is really coming loose then you will have to make a decision based on leaning towards a lasting repair vs possible external paint damage.

Hey DR

I have removed the tank, it is very bad. You can see the liner peeling away.

I think I could fill a coffee cup with the pieces I have pulled from the tank.

I will call the folks from the website I posted and talk about the paint. The tank is in mint condition along with the rest of the bike. Thanks for the heads up.

After discussing the tank with GTL and getting their assurance the paint will not be harmed AND their process will last for many many years (at least 10) I wrapped packed and boxed the tank. It is on the way to CA.

Will take 3 to 5 weeks to get it back