IGNORED

Paranoia???

philbytx

Cleaning up and REALLY checking Darth out yesterday, checking the tire pressures, I turned the rear wheel and noticed a regular ticking sound when rotating the wheel forward. I rotated it backwards and there was no noise and for the life of me I can't remember if the ticking sound was there before. It probably was but I AM still suffering from "mechanical" PTSD eek.gifblush.gif and would appreciate some counselling grin.gifgrin.gif

Otherwise, found only a lot of dust and crap in miscellaneous crevices plus couple of paint nicks and some "relocated" clamps and hoses.

Thank you!!

It could be a real issue. Potentially a sign of pending crown bearing problems. I'd look into it a bit further if it was me. Pull the caliper and see if it goes away to eliminate brake possibilities.

Any associated play in the wheel itself? Top to bottom or front to back.

Pull the wheel and see if you can then feel anything in the hub as you rotate it.

Also could be drive shaft U-joint roughness refracting through.

ShovelStrokeEd

I'm with Ken. Could be brinneling or spralling of the crown wheel bearing. Both are generated by impact loads normal to the bore of the bearing. Been wheelying over any speed bumps or hit a few deep potholes? The bearing is most vulnerable to this kind of damage when under heavy accelertion loads as the side thrust generated by the ring and pinion gears is heaviest at that point.

Thank's gentlemen!

I just went out and checked the rear wheel......ZERO play side to side and up and down. I also checked drivetrain backlash in first gear and it was around 1.5inches at the rim - so no probs grin.gif!

Spun the wheel again...back and forward and the noise has gone! I then realized something...I had checked it after I had hosed down the bike. I wiped the wheels off but there would have been water on/in the brake disk...THAT's what probably caused the ticking as I remember where I heard the noise before. It was another time when I was spinning the rim cleaning off the water and it was coming from water in the holes on the brake disc! thumbsup: DUH!!!

Seems like just a simple case of post crash paranoia grin.gifgrin.gif

Ed,

It might help you to know that I am entirely anal grin.gifgrin.gifeek.gif

You would learn much about me if you heard a couple of long stories best told over a cold ale (or 6!!!).

Long story 1. in short....38 years ago, good friend, hasty mechanic, wrongly installed gearbox seal, oil on rear tyre, lowside at 130mph!

Long story 2. in short....25 years ago, Family owned flying club, ditzy daughter on desk, didn't act or relay to A&P a BAD squawk, engine failure on take-off at Midway Airport Chicago!

Did I say ANAL grin.gif....I am definitely the product of my environment eek.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Never hurts to be careful, in fact, it goes a long way toward preventing hurt.

Cold ale is, however, an abomination. 45-50 deg F, or the temperature of a typical pub basement is just about right. Next time I'm through, I'll be happy to find a pub and demonstrate the difference. First round is on me.

Thank God for that....when Yank's learn I am a Brit they always give me crap about coming to my house and drinking "warm beer"! I say to them, would you almost freeze a good Cabernet fer Gawd's sake blush.gif!

Anyway, glad to see you are an aficionado of properly kept beer grin.gifgrin.gif. I managed a couple of pub's in London in my previous life...really love a good Bitter.

The good news is I can obtain some fine English ales (Fuller's ESB and Old Speckled Hen) from a local liquor store (the owner is a friend) plus, believe it or not, Texas does have some good microbreweries (Blanco Brewing in Blanco and St. Arnold in Houston).

Our friends acan lways find a warm welcome and a "cellar kept" brew at our house thumbsup.gif

David_Charlton

High Phil,just noticed your thread and a reference to fine pommy ales,ever tried Bishops Finger or Theakastons Old Peculiar,left England 25 years ago and only miss my Commando fastback and good beer, Cheers!!!

David,

I managed to get some Bishops Finger and Old Peculiar when we lived just outside Chicago! Moving Texas certainly has some pluses cool.gifthumbsup.gif but our range of fine English Ales has diminished quite a bit frown.gif

Always was a "Fuller's" man when I worked and lived in London so getting ESB and 1854 in our small town is pretty darned great thumbsup.gif

Ahh...Norton man eh? I had 3 of them....a Dommie 99 motor in an ES2 Featherbed frame..which was my first bike and I built it. Then an ex-works 650SS racer (great, finicky bike!!!) and a Manx 500 (sweeeet!!) which I shared and raced with a good mate of mine.

Growing up with Brit bikes (especially Nortons eek.gif) was a great set up for owning a BMW! If some of the younger folk think our BMW's have quirks and idiosyncracies....they just really haven't a clue grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Paul Mihalka

Well, if we can take a funny noise in a BMW to ales to old british bikes and racing, I have to get in here. At the time you youngsters were not in elementary school yet, I raced Velocette KTT and Gilera Saturno against the Norton Manxes (and won grin.gif). Geoff Duke was my hero. Rode AJS, Matchless and Triumph for fun grin.gif

David_Charlton

I remember going over 110mph on my combat engined fastback in '73 and it scares me now comparing the technology between my Norton and my '03 RT,the Lockheed single front disc brake which faded badly under pressure and the rear drum was a joke but it was a hell of bike,no speed traps either which added to the enjoyment,I would really like to renovate an ES2,featherbed or an 88ss, I've seen them advertised here in Aussie,ah! one day!!

Hi Paul!

Well, I know a little about your chequered past grin.gifgrin.gif

I'm with you on Geoff Duke (I remember back that far eek.gif) and also John Surtees - both started on Nortons and had stellar careers! I also understand that Geoff is still living!

In my teens and twenties, it was Phil Read, Mike Hailwood and "Ago".....I had the privilege of meeting Mike and "Ago" at the IoM in 1967. Both real gentlemen and great competitors....the Senior race that day became, somewhat, boring after Ago's chain problem took him out of the race!

Ahh...as I said, such stories are best told over a few fine ales thumbsup.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Archived