IGNORED

new wethead

mig

Well guys: went ahead and bought my 2016 wethead and brought her home today. A bronze beauty. Had 3 miles on the odo, mostly the shop going for a tank of gas.

So I have a measly 23 miles as of today, but already I have a few opinions and questions.

So I can tell that the stock wind screen is not going to cut it for me. Yeah I can raise it to help, but I don't like riding with a brick on the front. that will be first.

The ride setting was on normal but it was pretty stiff to me, although i'm sure my 2007 with the stock worn shocks has lulled my senses.

The side stand is definitely not as easy to get to.

I really miss my useful front glove box !!! those two tiny holes just don't hold anything. I used to carry two pouches with first aid/CPR mask and stuff, Now not sure where they will go, no place in the tail. I guess in the bags.

Otherwise the bike sound awesome !! I'm getting the clutch feel down and will figure out the radio presets and menus with time.

I did wonder if its normal to hear so much valve train noise. I guess its breaking in, but at one point at idle it sounded bad, worse than the mechanical rockers!!!

Anyway cant go back, but look forward to Farkling this baby up a bit.

I got my MootoReflective kit today, thanks Fernando

and I want to install some lights up front, just not sure where to tap for power.

Ok thanks for letting me vent, safe riding, Happy Holidays to all.

Miguel

Congrats on the upgrade. Awesome machine. Of course the shield is very subjective (as is the seat) but can tell you the valvetrain noise is fairly high with the Wethead and when you go from the RTW to GSAW (which I did) it ratchets up even more because of the difference in bodywork. And yes, the little boxes are pretty tight. Insurance card, registration and a small phone is about it. If you get the NAV V you'll have so many buttons and menus that it can be downright distracting. I also missed the Camhead tank rails for the BMW tank bag but everything is is phenomenal! Enjoy!

I agree that the "normal" setting seems firm. But it isn't harsh. My Oilhead with Ohlins had a much better ride going down the big highways. The "soft" setting only works on very smooth roads as the rear shock seems to have almost no damping on that setting.

Yes, there are some mechanical noises. Not to worry, they are normal so try to get used to them.

Look up the thread in this section Things you might not know about your Wethead

Miguel,

Great post. My new wethead has 398 miles on it. Coming from an 09 RT I agree with everything you said. But i do love this bike..although I've been told "never love anything that can't love you back".

One bit of advice. I just install Ztechnik engine guards. As you farkle the bike up be very careful in removing the tupperware and noting where each fairing screw came from and then put them back in the same spot you took them from. I screwed up thinking all the screws were the same....they're not. Some have large "shoulders", some small and some none.

Have fun and giddyup!!

John

So I can tell that the stock wind screen is not going to cut it for me. Yeah I can raise it to help, but I don't like riding with a brick on the front. that will be first. I recommend BMW's Comfort windshield for winter - looks good and very little optical distortion when you have to look down through it. I only need to raise it a couple of inches in the coldest temps for complete protection and complete quiet.

The ride setting was on normal but it was pretty stiff to me, although i'm sure my 2007 with the stock worn shocks has lulled my senses.My RT was hard as a rock at first. After 2k miles it is much more compliant. Normal setting is best for me. Not as great as my old 2000 RT with Ohlins was, but close.

The side stand is definitely not as easy to get to.Yes what used to be automatic on my previous RTs now requires my looking down to find the side stand.

I really miss my useful front glove box !!! those two tiny holes just don't hold anything. I used to carry two pouches with first aid/CPR mask and stuff, Now not sure where they will go, no place in the tail. I guess in the bags. The new tiny cubbies are a joke because the two radiators gobble up fairing space. Motech tank bag is an option.

Otherwise the bike sound awesome !! I'm getting the clutch feel down and will figure out the radio presets and menus with time.

I did wonder if its normal to hear so much valve train noise. I guess its breaking in, but at one point at idle it sounded bad, worse than the mechanical rockers!!! Throttle-by-wire is touchy at first but learnable. My motor sounded and felt pretty harsh and loud at first, especially on decel - now with 2k miles it's amazing smooth and no ticking. I can tell it'll only get better. Wet clutch and driveline slop are disappointing but that's "progress."

Anyway cant go back, but look forward to Farkling this baby up a bit. Barbacks, rear Hyperlights, Peg lowerers, BMS saddle, Grip puppies were all on my menu. I'm done... for now.

I got my MootoReflective kit today, thanks Fernando +1 on rear reflection

and I want to install some lights up front, just not sure where to tap for power.After much research I decided on dealer-installed BMW lights since I don't ride much at night and don't need enormous candlepower -- just good visibility from the front and 50-state legal and doesn't blind oncoming drivers. I'm amazed at the razor-sharp cutoff of the BMW LEDs. I couldn't believe it when I first pulled up to my garage door. Superb design and understated look that goes with the bike.

Miguel

ENJOY!

>>>>So I can tell that the stock wind screen is not going to cut it for me. Yeah I can raise it to help, but I don't like riding with a brick on the front. that will be first.<<<<

Get a Werks: http://mklsportster.com/Articles/bmwmoa-werks.pdf

>>>>>The side stand is definitely not as easy to get to.<<<<

Get a sidestand foot with a lip. I have Ilium http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=10%2D400&pID=23

>>>>>I did wonder if its normal to hear so much valve train noise. I guess its breaking in, but at one point at idle it sounded bad, worse than the mechanical rockers!!!<<<<<

It goes away around 18,000 miles. The more you ride it, the smoother and quieter it gets. I'm rolling over 26,500 today and mine is only 15 months old!

-MKL

Awesome info guys!!! yeah going to have to adjust to the "new " feel of the bike. I got a funny question---On my old bike I pulled the rubber neck in the gas tank to increase some capacity, can that be done on the 16??

thanks to all

I have the 8th wethead in the country from Feb 14. I was a little spooky buying a first year bike but since the engine had been in the GS's the year before...I went ahead. I'm coming up on owning it for 3 years and I can think of no other bike I would rather have. My only real complaint was the tires it came with and the 2x4 seat which was promptly changed to a Russell. My tires were Continental something and they had virtually no grip. I pulled them off at 2K and put PR4GT's on it. I couldn't be happier with this bike. Hope you have the same experiences.

Well guys: went ahead and bought my 2016 wethead and brought her home today. A bronze beauty. Had 3 miles on the odo, mostly the shop going for a tank of gas.

So I have a measly 23 miles as of today, but already I have a few opinions and questions.

So I can tell that the stock wind screen is not going to cut it for me. Yeah I can raise it to help, but I don't like riding with a brick on the front. that will be first.

The ride setting was on normal but it was pretty stiff to me, although i'm sure my 2007 with the stock worn shocks has lulled my senses.

The side stand is definitely not as easy to get to.

I really miss my useful front glove box !!! those two tiny holes just don't hold anything. I used to carry two pouches with first aid/CPR mask and stuff, Now not sure where they will go, no place in the tail. I guess in the bags.

I did wonder if its normal to hear so much valve train noise. I guess its breaking in, but at one point at idle it sounded bad, worse than the mechanical rockers!!!

Anyway cant go back, but look forward to Farkling this baby up a bit.

I got my MootoReflective kit today, thanks Fernando

and I want to install some lights up front, just not sure where to tap for power.

Miguel

Congrats! Don't feel bad I have had my '16 RT for 2 months and have 655 miles on it! I agree with most all of your observations since I came from a 2006 RT .... totally miss that deep storage compartment in the front! Also, don't like the stretchy straps inside the bags ... the '06 had nylon web straps with an adjustable buckle in the middle too! At 6'3" am on the hunt for a windshield too! And yes the sidestand takes some getting used to as it sits farther up. Oh ... and I prefer the older traditional albeit odd switch gear with the cancel on the right side. This will be the first bike I ever run a tank bag and Santa should be bringing me a Givi with gas filler attachment! But overall love the new bike and am getting used to it. Keep us posted on the farkles you add!!!

I bought a 16 RT just over a year ago and have put 14,000 miles on it. The first change I made was the Werks windshield and it truly works. Made the radio and sound system truly functional without resorting to helmet communications, earbuds, etc. Rode it from Ohio to Shasta Lake, CA and had a Russell saddle installed. Comfort is superb, but was a little grieved at the loss of the low seating height that came with the stock seat. Just something to get used to. Mine has what sounds like valve clatter at idle, but the valve clearances are absolutely in the middle of their tolerance. Doubt if it will go away. I am really pleased with the bike; I had Ohlins suspension on my last two BMW's and the ESA units are just about as good at least for now; maybe a little harsher, but well controlled. The bike handles great.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the sidestand on my '15 RT much better than the one on the '07 loaner I get when I leave the bike overnight. Pop it down with my heel, and I can easily reach it with my toe to pull it up. I have short legs and can barely reach the '07 sidestand when it's down. I agree the soft setting is pretty bouncy on anything other than smooth roads.