IGNORED

A scare during a 24,000 mile service.

Trucker Kev

Trucker Kev

After completing the valve adjustment, I went to replace the little rubber plug that covers the TDC hole near the right side throttle body. I lost grip and it fell. Because of bad lighting, I couldn't find it, even with a flashlight. For about 10 minutes before I found it in a little crevice, I thought it actually fell through the hole into the motor.

What whould happen if it did fall inside? Has this happened to anyone?

Kevin

russell_bynum

Yeah, it happened to me while I was helping Gleno do a 24K on his bike.

Don't worry about it. Just put a piece of duct tape over the hole and forget about it.

ericfoerster

There are two inside my old RT and I've got one in the GS now thumbsup.gif

I think they run better with at least one down there teeth.gif

Stan Walker

I think they run better with at least one down there

I'm thinking they are the root cause of oilhead spline failures........

Stan teeth.gif

ericfoerster

I'm thinking they are the root cause of oilhead spline failures........

2004 GS ADV for sale cheap in Texas grin.gif

Now you tell me!

Joe Frickin' Friday
What whould happen if it did fall inside? Has this happened to anyone?

"Didja ever see that scene in Scanners where that dude's head blew up?" crazy.gif

Nothing to worry about. Inside that hole is the flywheel, clutch, and (on the opposite side) the starter. I don't know how much clearance there is around the edge of the flywheel's ring gear; if a lot, then the rubber plug would settle to the bottom of the enclosure, if not a lot, it'll get batted around for a while until it disintegrates or falls out down by the starter. Either way, no harm done; there's nothing in that area that's gonna get jammed up or damaged by some little punk rubber plug.

Trucker Kev

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I figured it wasn’t a big deal.

Eric – Do you have dyno tests that reflect the improved performance, or is it just a “seat of the pants” comparison? Without a dyno, it's nothing! teeth.gif

Kevin

Jeff from Massachusetts

If you look at "valve adjusments for dummies" you will see that the older BMW's used a thicker rubber plug. I changed over years ago. The thicker plug is much less prone to going to spend the rest of it's life swimming in oil. teeth.gif

DavidEBSmith

The thicker plug is much less prone to going to spend the rest of it's life swimming in oil.

You should hope it's not swimming in oil, because there shouldn't be oil in there unless a seal is leaking and your dry clutch is getting oil-soaked. frown.gif

As for the thicker plug, it's a plug from the bottom of an Airhead fork. Don't know the BMW part number, but Moto-Bins had them on their website. The thicker plug is harder to lose in the hole, but it's also harder to plug in.

The trick to not losing the stock plug is to spear it through and through with an awl. Then you hold it in place with the awl, and use a small screwdriver to work around the little lip on the plug and press it into the hole. You can do the same thing with the thicker plug, except you can't poke the awl through it, you can just pome it and hold it with the awl.

Archived