IGNORED

Fault Code Help

Gene#3

Can anyone explain this to me, how important/severe and how to fix?

10011 Output stage of Lambda (O2) sensor heating circuit (Cylinder1)

The fault is currently present.

A similar fault code on Honda's means you need a new O2 sensor.

These sensors are not exactly cheap (albeit you can save money by buying them as NGK/NTK instead than as genuine BMW spares) but are very quickly replaced.

Evening Gene#3

Any chance that your motorcycle has a Power Commander or other fuel modifier that intercepts the lambda (o2) sensor signal?

If so then that is probably the cause.

If nothing aftermarket added then make sure that the o2 sensor is fully plugged in (those little connectors are easy to partially pull a wire out of while working on the bike)

If nothing (connector & wire wise) is pulled loose then good possibility that the o2 sensor internal heating circuit is open.

If a (possible) bad o2 sensor then just buy a new one & install, or swap the o2 sensors side to side then see if the error code moves to the cylinder #2. If so then replace the bad o2 sensor.

• 2 months later...

All stock here... would this be adaptable:Bosch 15733 Oxygen Sensor, Universal Type Fitment @ $40 or so on Amazon or am I better off with a Universal fit from Beemerboneyard at 80? BMW is $200+

All stock here... would this be adaptable:Bosch 15733 Oxygen Sensor, Universal Type Fitment @ $40 or so on Amazon or am I better off with a Universal fit from Beemerboneyard at 80? BMW is $200+

Morning Gene

O2 sensor choice on the BMW 1200 is kind of easy & kind of difficult to get exactly right.

About any of the 4 wire universal o2 sensors will work but not always perfectly.

The BMW 1200 hexhead/camhead engines use (2) o2 sensors with both sides of the engine fueling independently so each side needs to be closely matched for the engine to run & idle smoothly.

The o2 sensors on the BMW 1200 are also heated so the internal o2 heating elements should be in the same resistance range as the originals so they heat the same & come on-line at about the same time.

I usually try to use the BMW oem o2 sensor when possible (if I'm not the one buying it) as those are a perfect matchup & a simple plug in.

I have used an automotive equivalent (close match to the generic Denso 234-4209) but not readily available to the public (I have access to a number of normally unavailable oem automotive o2 sensors)

The stock OEM o2 in your 1200 has a unique plug on it & not a lot of room to splice on a universal sensor with large splice box, or large splice barrels, (never solder a modern o2 pig tail as that blocks the reference air entry)

I know of a couple of 1200 riders that have used the http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BMW-Oxygen-Sensor-G650-HP2-R1200-11-78-7-674-452-p/o2-e452.htm -- I don't know the long term durability of that particular o2 but the riders that used it said it worked OK.

If Beemer Boneyard offers a universal o2 that will work in your 1200 & it has the same heater resistance as your stock o2 then probably no reason not to use that. (hopefully they have measured & matched the heater resistance to oem)

Sorry that I haven't been precise in my recommendation but, as I mentioned, I like to keep the sides matched as close as possible on the 1200 hexhead/camhead.

Added: if you go the universal (or non OEM) route-- just make darn SURE to match the CIRCUITS up not the wire colors as not all o2 sensors use the same wire colors for the same circuits)

Edited by dirtrider
A similar fault code on Honda's means you need a new O2 sensor.

These sensors are not exactly cheap (albeit you can save money by buying them as NGK/NTK instead than as genuine BMW spares) but are very quickly replaced.

FWIW I swapped out both my 06 R1200RT O2 sensors a few years ago, trying to fix another issue. NGK/NTK 0072 are a direct fit replacment, with the BMW plug at around $85/90 each.