IGNORED

Starter

hogan11

My 00 R1100RT starter is making strange noises. When I thumb the start buttun its starts but it sounds like the starter is still engaged for a 1/2 second or so. Should I replace it or rebuild it. I'm planning a 2300 mile trip and don't want to be stranded.

ShovelStrokeEd

Chances are you need to clean and lube the starter drive.

There is a post kicking around here on just how to do that.

Check out the search facility and try +starter +drive and go back about 18 months or so.

That sounds like just a dirty bendix drive. You could disassemble it, clean and regrease it and probably be good. If you decide to replace it, the best price I found several years ago was from http://www.electricmotorsvc.com/

They may not have a cross reference by model, but if you give them the Valeo number from the starter they have it.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Chances are you need to clean and lube the starter drive.

There is a post kicking around here on just how to do that.

Check out the search facility and try +starter +drive and go back about 18 months or so.

Rightspin put together an excellent document on starter maintenance. It's in the M/C FAQ at the very top of the page (or just click here). thumbsup.gif

That sounds like just a dirty bendix drive. You could disassemble it, clean and regrease it and probably be good.

Do Oilheads actually use a bendix, or do they use a one-way overrunning clutch (sprag clutch) like K-bikes?? The two work fundamentally differently.

Bob.

Bendix, in fact, I think the starter is the same as some Renault auto. Also, if you ever have a problem in the middle of nowhere, a Saturn auto starter motor is the same except it rotates the opposite direction, which is done by reversing the polarity of the permenant magnets. You can switch the outer housing of the two and use the Saturn starter armature and drive assuming the magnets are still bonded to your housing. I can't remember about the actual drive gear, that may be a different pitch and need to be switched also.

Archived