IGNORED

replacement exhaust for R1100RT

Foxy

My GS came with a 2-Bros exhaust installed, and luckily the original in a box as well.

Within a week, I had removed the 2-Bros exhaust and reinstalled the original. That 2-Bros exhaust was ridiculously loud, even to me on the saddle in front of it. Anyone behind me had to be seriously irritated whenever I rode by.

If you are a sociopath, the the 2-Bros exhasut is just what you need!

grin.gif

If you are socially responsible, but feel the need to lighten your wallet and chuck your legal stock exhaust, look at Remus and Staintune. Pricey, but a decent compromise between decibels and (minor) perfomance enhancement.

I tried a 2 Brothers and it was much too loud, even with earplugs! I then switched to a M4 but it didn't fit properly with the clamping arrangement. I then went to the Staintune which fits perfectly using the original mounting points and has a low mellow sound until you take out the easily removable baffel and then it sounds like a 2 Brothers! Finally I read on this Forum where you could take out the Cat on the original muffler for about $40 which I did and I am happy with the results. The Staintune is now up for sale! teeth.gif

]]]]]]]]]]]]]Finally I read on this Forum where you could take out the Cat on the original muffler for about $40 which I did and I am happy with the results. ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

You irresponsible swine! teeth.gif

OK, thanks for the quick replies. Have just been thinking about replacing the stock exhaust. Replaced the stock one on my KLR with a Supertrapp primarily to reduce the weight and maybe get a little more power. Accomplished significant weight reduction with it and a little power increase, especially usable power. It is a bit louder with 8 disks in it than stock but not terribly loud. My son-in-law put a 2 Brothers exhaust on his DR650- same result except his is a good bit louder than mine.

For the BMW I was thinking of it again as a weight reduction move, that R1100RT is a bit weighty, and any power increase would be fine but not thinking of it so much as the RT has plenty of power at hand, at least for me.

As always, I enjoy the quick information from board members and the repartee'. Since it will be awhile before I have the spare $500 - 600 for a new exhaust, I was just testing the waters to see what others had experienced and thought about.

Having had both a 1982 R65LS and a 1987 R80 (plus several other past bikes of different marque) I'm very happy with the R1100RT as is. I've made a few small mods here and there but most of my "spare" change recently went into replacing the cracked front frame (result of a very stupid slow speed get off, topic for another time).

Thanks again folks.

Foxy

Archived