IGNORED

XM install

Mark K

Rather than spending an hour searching the archives.....

I would like to hardwire a 12V "cigarette lighter" into the front section of my bike to plug in a Roady adpater. I'm looking for switched power for my 1100. Any quick answers? There is a radio there.....

What I did for my XM was add an additional connector to my webber BMW cord (which goes to my vest), just prior to the junction. To this connector I created a cord that ends in a female car adapter, which I can then the XM into (or my cell phone charger, etc.. ).

I actually created two connectors ( a plastic type from Mouser elec. that is locking). One can go to heated glove liners, socks, cell phone etc.. Given my bike is pre CAN I have no problem with the load as it is under 15amps.

Rather than spending an hour searching the archives.....

I would like to hardwire a 12V "cigarette lighter" into the front section of my bike to plug in a Roady adpater. I'm looking for switched power for my 1100. Any quick answers? There is a radio there.....

Mark,

What I've done for a couple of installs is break the 12V cigarette adapter apart. Solder a couple of leads to the + and - points on the circuit board. Strain releive the leads (both input and output) to the circuit board with a small cable tie before putting it in the shrink tubing. Slip the circuit board in a short length of shrink tubing and shrink it.

Next, you connect the hot lead to your radio power lead and the - to a convenient ground in the area and you have a switched power weather-proof 12>6v adapter that fits almost anywhere under the bodywork or behind the dash.

Mick

I just tapped into the low beam headlight wire. Used a 1 1/2 amp fuse at the connection and ran the wire to the radio box. I then mounted a female cigarette lighter plug in the box (fairing side of radio). I have a switched power supply for the XM or whatever is set up for that type of plug. This works great with the factory radio. With the XM antenna on the dash I get perfect reception of the XM signal and have the regular radio at my fingertips. I just preset 88.1 for the XM.

I didn't go the lighter to adapter route, to bulky & messy.

This is what I used

scrool down to Hardwire.

DaveyMac eek.gif

DaveyMac,

Thanks for your reply. I saw that hardwire kit when I ordered the RoadyHolder, just couldn't part with the additional $ at the time. I also didn't want to get tied into the 6-volt output in case I change my mind, for example, and want to go with a Sky-fi unit (also have one of those) which requires 12V, I believe.

Was hoping to hardwire a female adapter hidden somewhere up front and simply plug the Roady adapter into it, leaving my options open.

Great ideas Mick/Terry! Anyone know if BMW uses consistant color coding on their wiring? Looks like if I'm going for the radio feed, I'll be looking for a red wire, but the headlight feed is yellow??

Bike is not apart, so I'm going off the schematic (sp?), which I can't read very well. confused.gif

DaveyMac,

Thanks for your reply. I saw that hardwire kit when I ordered the RoadyHolder, just couldn't part with the additional $ at the time. I also didn't want to get tied into the 6-volt output in case I change my mind, for example, and want to go with a Sky-fi unit (also have one of those) which requires 12V, I believe.

Was hoping to hardwire a female adapter hidden somewhere up front and simply plug the Roady adapter into it, leaving my options open.

Just make sure you don't put more than 6v into a roady or you'll FRY IT.

I bet you already knew that thumbsup.gif

DaveyMac

Archived