IGNORED

Need Help Diagnosing Rough Running 1150RT

flyingreg

My friends,

I need some help diagnosing my rough running '04 RT. The bike currently has 25600 miles on the clock. At 24247, or there abouts, I completed the 24K service. The valves were very close and only had to balance the two intake and exhaust on each side. The TB synch went well and all seemed fine.

After completing the 24K service, I rode the lighthouse recon ride with Phil and noticed the bike felt "buzzy" in the seat and pegs at speed. The buzziness was most noticeable at or above 5K rpm. This past weekend I rechecked the TB synch and it was fine, still spot on. I didn't check the valves, couldn't think of anything that could go wrong there. The light vibration is still there and my fuel mileage has dropped off to 33 mpg from a normal of 38 when commuting with no change in my riding style.

Before I take the bike to the dealer, any thoughts on what may be the culprit? Bad coil, spark plug? (I installed new plugs at 18K service)

BucksTherapy

Here's the order of checks I would do:

Re-check valves using the double feeler guage method described on this site. Remember that 1/1000 slack is better then 1/1000 tight.

Re-check TB sync

Check fuel pressure if able.

Cycle fuel to ensure fresh clean fuel

Plugs have already been checked

Check for carbon in cylinders or use a quality cleaner

Good luck and let us know what it is.

Could you have overfilled the oil a little?
Oil level is where it should be, below the top of the sight glass at the time of the service. It is near the middle now, having ridden about 1200 miles since the last service.
Do you typically do your own service?

AKA, did it run well last time you did it?

I have done all my own service with the exception of the 600 mile service. The bike ran fine before the last service. I used the same methods and tools. I tend to be very meticulous (anal) when doing any work. I guess that's why it takes me twice as long as it would take some. tongue.gif

This is an '04 twin spark, right?

Any chance the lower coil isn't seated right onto one of the lower plugs?

This is an '04 twin spark, right?

Any chance the lower coil isn't seated right onto one of the lower plugs?

I haven't checked that. I didn't remove the lower plugs this last service. They were only 6K old and there was no indication of a misfiring plug. The top plugs were burning clean, so I didn't pull them this service.

I will be ordering new plugs before I take the bike into the dealer. Still cheaper than the 250 mile round trip to the dealership, not counting the day used to make the trip.

Archived