IGNORED

Plastic tabs on panel

Stbell

My 2015 RT is my first BMW motorcycle I have ever owned. Recently, I was removing the large painted panel on the driver side of the bike. Well,there are two small plastic tabs that hold that panel in place close to the 4 button cluster which would be off my left knee if I was riding. Those tabs broke off while putting the panel back on. The panel is secured by small screws that are accessed from underneath. My question is, can those small plastic tabs be replaced? My issue is that even though the panel looks secure and in place but when I ride it pulls away from the bike. Has anyone experienced this? Do I need to replace that panel, or is there a fix ( other than duct tape )

Thanks for the input

Do a search in google for this problem. It's quite common and there are allot of different fixes for this. Some have even had it taken care of as warranty

Ahhh.. the tabs... Yes, it is somewhat well-known situation.

I had the tabs on the right-hand side go missing myself, and I noticed it as we rode across South Dakota to get to the rally in Wisconsin. I noticed the panel pulling away and sort of flapping in the wind. The nice lady at the motel gave me Scotch Tape to hold it together for the rest of the trip.

I honestly did not recall removing the panel and honestly did not believe/think I did it.

The dealer had just done a service or one of the recalls when they replaced the water pump, but in any case the dealer would not take responsibility.

I fixed it with small patches of velcro where the tabs used to be. Been 1,000 miles or so now and no issue. I think it is a design problem and the tabs are susceptible to disappearing into places unknown. The velcro is not visible and is effective.

Fortunately the Velcro solution is easy.

I agree on the piece... of something... but I digress.

He got all pissy and moany about having to order-in a new panel then paint it, and hope the paint matched, and etc.

I haven't been back since then and in the meantime apparently they lost the Triumph dealership- which used to fill about 1/3 of an enormous space.

What comes around goes around...

Your dealer is full of s$&@! The panel comes already painted the color of the bike.

My dealer even gave me the old panel which had nothing wrong with it except for a missing tab.

GT

I had #8 2014 RT in the US; so dealers weren't overly trained. When I picked mine up from 600 mile check they said here is your old panel we broke and the new one is installed it came painted. I left the old one with them as no value to me.

Thanks for the suggestions. My bike goes to the dealer for the 24k service next week. I told them about the panel. I honestly have no idea why the tabs broke off but if they won't warranty it I will try the Velcro idea. I will let you know how it goes, but a bike that is just over 1 yr old - I would hope they warranty the panel.

Thanks again

So, I picked up my bike from the dealer today. I had the 24k mile service done and for them to look at the panel. I got excited to get the call to say my bike was ready. I asked about the panel and the service tech said it was all fixed. I arrived to find they fixed the panel with double sided tape. I asked about the warranty, since the bike is only a year old, and was told that they would not warranty the part. Crazy! Very disappointed with this dealer in Chandler, AZ. But, the double sided tape is thus far working.

Looking for another place to take my bike

Steve

I would say...BS! It doesn't cost the dealer a cent to warrant it. I think I would go above him. Tape is not the answer.

GT

That is not necessarily true. If the dealer broke the part, it is not a warranty pay item. If BMW decides too many are being broken, ie a bad design, they may offer some help with them. But I have not heard anything to indicate that. Parts/labor bills are NOT automatically paid when sent to BMW, or any manufacturer. They know about the tabs and why they break. The Service Tech is the problem, if they are trained in how to remove/install them they don't break.

This is a case where the dealer would pay out of pocket. Since it is easy to cover up the mistake with double sided tape/velcro, I suspect there are a lot of them out there that owners are not aware of.

If the dealer can't figure out how to deal with a warranty issue as simple as this they aren't very swift. I've had two broken tab panels on my RT. Dealer broke one and I broke the other. No problem, both repaired under warranty.

GT

If you or the dealer broke off the tabs, then what has that got to do with warranty? The part didn't go faulty (break off) by itself. It was due to poor handling. Now if the dealer does it, then that's their screw up and they have to replace it at their cost, (like mine did).

If you break it off......

Despite that they are flimsy, no argument there, I haven't heard any cases where they seem to have broken off by themselves while using the bike.

BMW knows they are flimsy and have a bulliton to that affect. I've seen it at the dealer. That's why they are covering them under warranty without any argument.

Good dealers look after their customers.

GT

All I can say is that I don't know how the tabs were broken. I would own up to it if I had done it. I would hope that the dealer would to if they did it. Either way, I agree tape is not the answer. I called the manager today and spoke to him. The conversation was very cordial but in the end they said that this was not a warranty issue because they feel that it was not a fault of theirs. If i "F'd" up I would admit it. I am not trying to take advantage of anyone. I have been in contact with a auto repair shop that believes that they can replicate/replace the tabs and make it look good again. Estimated cost is 50$. I will let you know how it turns out. just overall disappointed with the dealership.

Edited by Stbell

I see a new dealer in your future! Be sure and tell your current dealer why you are moving on.

GT

Edited by gordiet

If you didn't do it then the dealer did.

The bike has been out in this configuration for 2 years now and all you here is them getting broken during removal/re-installation.

Not while they are actually on.

My dealer broke mine despite me explaining to them the risk and be sure they use the proper method as stated in the Owner Manual.....and they still broke it.

They had to own up as I checked them straight after the service and while still at the garage. My panel did get replaced at their cost.

I have had them off at least half a dozen time without any issue.

But yes I agree..they are flimsy. For a high quality (read expensive) bike, they don't pass the sniff test.

We've taken apart I don't know how many RTW's and we've not broken nor damaged a single one. But we see stuff come in here, previously "serviced" by motorcycle dealers of all brands, and a lot of it, I would not even ride down my driveway. Accidents in waiting.

My left panel was replaced by the dealer after their very experienced (in all but reinstallation of this panel!) broke off the tabs while he was demonstrating to me how to reinstall the panel w/o breaking anything...ugh!

It all started when I asked, because I'd read about the tab issue, if I could watch him reinstall the panel after attempting to install the Hornig Cooler Guards for me that do not fit properly IMO to the RTW's coolers anyway--I ended up sending them back for a refund. I watch in horror as he first oriented the BOTTOM of the panel with his left hand, then promptly w/ the palm of his right hand smashed the top of the panel directly as if to attempt to get the push pin into its grommet w/ no regard for the two tabs. Of course the correct method is to carefully place the two tabs in their receiving slots and then very carefully hinge them only enough to get the pushpin into its grommet, and then insure the bottom screw holes are correctly oriented, and all is well--I don't believe they break themselves. Notice there is also, at least on my '16, a strip of heavy duty velcro on the top as well presumably added to provide some extra stickum so that there is less maybe vibration stress on the tabs.

The dealer kindly replaced the panel w/ a new one but I don't know who paid for the part. Expensive mistake for them.

Ah yes, the skinny little tabs on those panels.

Was checking something and noticed that one of them was broken off when I took a look. I promptly broke the other one when putting the panel back on.

So I got one and the dealer got one, but he didn't mention it.

I thought about velcro. Nope, too much wind at the front. Thought about fiberglass tape and a plastic widget to fit in there.

Nope, too much wind and the tape eventually pulls away from the panel.

Finally settled on a home made tab (metal) fiberglassed/epoxied on to the inside of the panel and it holds 300% better than the factory OEM tabs.

And "pressure checked" to 120mph.

I do agree, it's a poorly designed part of that panel assembly and I'm sure it will be beefed up on future models.

AD

I did the small metal tabs epoxied in place. I think the dealer broke one of those, but came up with this own fix (not a new panel). I think it's one of those things we'll all have to live with. When the '17s come out, I wonder if they'll have a real fix?

I did the small metal tabs epoxied in place. I think the dealer broke one of those, but came up with this own fix (not a new panel). I think it's one of those things we'll all have to live with. When the '17s come out, I wonder if they'll have a real fix?

Unfortunate on a $20,000 + motorcycle we have to "live with" anything that is clearly a design error on the part of the manufacturer.

Unfortunate on a $20,000 + motorcycle we have to "live with" anything that is clearly a design error on the part of the manufacturer.

It surely could have been designed to be more idiot-proofed, but the reality is if one understands how it's designed the tabs won't be coming off. They are actually quite strong--but not tough--they are brittle enough to crack when whacked from the side. Admittedly, with the design employed 'idiot' proofed is a bit strong. This being said, this is such a well known issue it was a shock to witness the mechanic smash the tabs right off w/o a second thought, unintentionally of course.

Now if you want to talk about another unconscionable design error: not converting to LED technology for the main low beam, what with how fun it is to replace the standard H7 bulb. Yamaha has done it on the '16 FJR, and even the little Honda CB500X ABS my spouse is looking to buy have LED main low beams.

Edited by NoelCP

Hey guys... guess what?

I discovered two more tabs that might be vulnerable to break-offs.

The front fender has two tabs that mate with slots. Lifting up on the plastic front fender to allow you to rotate the wheel- to get the tire's air stem- can result in the front of the fender pulling out of their slots.

It will be necessary to remove the two Torx-head screws to allow total removal of the fender, then you can re-slot the tabs and screws.

No harm this time but be aware...