IGNORED

New RT Wethead question

RTinNC

Picked up the new bike on Friday and took my first breakin ride today. Really like the bike but had a question .... when I turn off the bike the windshield lowers all the way and then when I turn the bike back on I have to reset the shield to where I want it. Is there no memory of the last position? Probably a dumb question and I am sure someone will tell me RFM ... but thought I could get a quick answer here.

Thanks !

At the risk of sounding like a BMW technician...they all do that. :grin: Well, the 2014 RT parked in Tewksbury does it. :read:

Pat

Picked up the new bike on Friday and took my first breakin ride today. Really like the bike but had a question .... when I turn off the bike the windshield lowers all the way and then when I turn the bike back on I have to reset the shield to where I want it. Is there no memory of the last position? Probably a dumb question and I am sure someone will tell me RFM ... but thought I could get a quick answer here.

Thanks !

What!! You have had the bike for more than 24 hours AND have ridden it without reading the manual at least 4 times?

Respect - I had to read the manual just to work out how to put the main beam on and do not get me started on the wonder wheel / audio functions!

Thanks !

What!! You have had the bike for more than 24 hours AND have ridden it without reading the manual at least 4 times?

Respect - I had to read the manual just to work out how to put the main beam on and do not get me started on the wonder wheel / audio functions!

I got the Wonder Wheel down pretty well but NOT the audio stuff .... just the basic stuff. And have not gotten to the GPS with what I hear are dozens of data elements .... how many times you pull in the clutch, average throttle position .... REALLY? And why do I need to know this? BUT the new motor is amazingly smooth!!

Congratulations Ed... I love my '14. Truly a fine bike.

Over the period of time that I have owned it I can report there is an unusual phenomenon going on. I have been riding a long time and I can tell you this is the first bike I have owned that actually has information and tricks in the Riders Manual that I find useful.

OK... unheard of... but I digress... Things like how to get the audio system to play the flash drive tunes in random sequence rather than 1-2-3 etc...

There are many of these... so, at the risk of sounding like a real newbie... RTFM... it is a little bit hard to do, and there are comments in there that are just flat wrong but only one I have found so far.

Congratulations again and fire-away with questions.

And have not gotten to the GPS with what I hear are dozens of data elements .... how many times you pull in the clutch, average throttle position .... REALLY?

I think you may be referring to GS' implementation of Nav V. RT's interface doesn't support those types of data points, or at least not as many.

And have not gotten to the GPS with what I hear are dozens of data elements .... how many times you pull in the clutch, average throttle position .... REALLY?

I think you may be referring to GS' implementation of Nav V. RT's interface doesn't support those types of data points, or at least not as many.

Oh ... really? Hmmm .... interesting. My buddies that have'14 and '16 GS's have this "MY BIKE" icon and they tell me it tells you things like how many times you pull in the clutch, how many times you use the front brake, back brake, etc. All stuff that you can't live without .. HA!! :ohboy:

Oh ... really? Hmmm .... interesting.

I know those are goofy things but I would like to have ambient temp and engine temperature display thru Nav V which I don't think is possible w/ RT's implementation, presumably because it's available on the dash multifunction display. I keep mine set to tire pressure, and of course you can get to ambient temp w/ a few clicks and a roll but still, I'd prefer temp was displayed all the time along w/ tire pressure, like here from the GS' My Motorcycle:

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-17%20at%204.28.55%20PM_zpserfwult1.jpg

Oh ... really? Hmmm .... interesting.

I know those are goofy things but I would like to have ambient temp and engine temperature display thru Nav V which I don't think is possible w/ RT's implementation, presumably because it's available on the dash multifunction display. I keep mine set to tire pressure, and of course you can get to ambient temp w/ a few clicks and a roll but still, I'd prefer temp was displayed all the time along w/ tire pressure, like here from the GS' My Motorcycle:

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-17%20at%204.28.55%20PM_zpserfwult1.jpg

Yeah ... that stuff! So you are saying that is not available on the RT? Hmmm ... I thought when my dealer was going over the bike he brought up a scree that looked similar to that. But that is what I was talking about.

There are other screens that don't quite have that tiled look and aren't user configurable, but most of the stuff is on them except coolant temp, ambient temp, the various fuel economy options, etc.

If you aren't already familiar w/ the paid subscription options for traffic, weather radar, traffic cameras, those are kind of cool and are one-time purchase subscriptions and cost very little.

Here's the best article you will find about Nav V: http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article07_gps/article07_nav5.shtml

There are other screens that don't quite have that tiled look and aren't user configurable, but most of the stuff is on them except coolant temp, ambient temp, the various fuel economy options, etc.

If you aren't already familiar w/ the paid subscription options for traffic, weather radar, traffic cameras, those are kind of cool and are one-time purchase subscriptions and cost very little.

Here's the best article you will find about Nav V: http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article07_gps/article07_nav5.shtml

WOW ... great link! Thanks! Funny but no where does it mention the RT? Is it safe to assume if my RT has GPS Prep. package that all the My Motorcycle options should be available?

WOW ... great link! Thanks! Funny but no where does it mention the RT? Is it safe to assume if my RT has GPS Prep. package that all the My Motorcycle options should be available?

My goodness Ed, that is what we are talking about. NO, you will not find the My Motorcycle options w/ your RT. You will find plenty of other ways to display stuff though so enjoy those.

Edited by NoelCP

Ok thanks! But just wondering why BMW would opt to not use the same interface on the RT? Now that seems odd. But then I guess we are talking about BMW

Edited by RTinNC