IGNORED

Battery Tender Lead - charging question

DBLXX

So - the 2016 R1200RT came with a battery tender lead already attached.

I plugged my tender into it last night and the light went solid red which means charging.

I came out this morning expecting it to either be blinking red (greater than 80%) but honestly - green (100% charged)

It was still solid red.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Afternoon DBLXX

Difficult to tell much from this far away--

Might be as simple as the battery wasn't charged enough yet.

Or something on the bike is drawing most of the charging current during the charge sequence.

Or possibly something wrong with the Battery Tender.

Is your Battery Tender the correct one for the battery type in your 2016? (it's not a gel-battery charger is it?)

In any case, probably your best bet is to write down the Battery Tender model number then call Delran tec help tomorrow & ask them.

If nothing wrong with the Battery Tender then you might call your BMW dealer with your VIN number to see if your bike is in the VIN range for battery replacement (there have been some battery issues on some of the 1200WC bikes)

Edited by dirtrider

You might get that battery checked.

That being said I just had to replace my battery on a 2014 yesterday. Barely starting the bike. Tender showed green but just no oomph left.

Unfortunately mine is 4 months over the battery warranty from bmw (24 months on battery.) I will fight this tomorrow. I bought mine one year old from the bmw factory service center unregisters but the still start the warranty when the set it into service.

My thinking was that the bike had so few miles and was probably sitting in the corner not on a tender so battery was not treated properly. I was told at bmw that it should be on a tender as much as possible. especially if it is not a daily bike as this is hard on the battery.

I always had it on a battery tender. Even when good it would start at red and within a couple of hours at worst it would be green. Maybe you do not have a good connection at your battery tender. Check your battery with a volt meter at the tender to make sure it is active and a fuse has not been blown. You should be around 12.7 volts at the battery resting about 14.2 running.

Gary

Same issue here on my 2016 R12RT. I was also direct to battery with BT leads using a unit that had been charging my 2015 BMW K1300S. I solved my issue by buying an OptiMate that is made with a mode for the BMW Canbus. This charger was recommended by my BMW dealer over their charger. No-brainer for me as it was free based on customer points I had accumulated. Solved my problem within minutes of connecting. Works via Canbus as well as direct connect without problem, although I ride so often I seldom use it now.

Good Riding,

Brad

Same issue here on my 2016 R12RT. I was also direct to battery with BT leads using a unit that had been charging my 2015 BMW K1300S. I solved my issue by buying an OptiMate that is made with a mode for the BMW Canbus. This charger was recommended by my BMW dealer over their charger. No-brainer for me as it was free based on customer points I had accumulated. Solved my problem within minutes of connecting. Works via Canbus as well as direct connect without problem, although I ride so often I seldom use it now.

Good Riding,

Brad

+1

I ended up doing the same thing. After playing with my old Gel battery tender, then another brand, finally got an OptiMate. It just works.

• 2 weeks later...

My Battery Tender charges my 2016 RT just fine. I keep it plugged in whenever I'm not riding. It is connected directly to the battery.

+1

I ended up doing the same thing. After playing with my old Gel battery tender, then another brand, finally got an OptiMate. It just works.

+1

On my 3rd Canbus RT that I've maintained on an OptiMate for years. It just works.

My '14 came from the dealer with the battery tender plug (SAE plug) already installed.

I charge it using a Harley Davidson branded charger from 15 years ago... works perfectly. No high-tech features- just 12v with a charging light.

I prefer not to leave it on the charger, but unplug it as soon as the charging light goes out.