IGNORED

Brake Light always on..

Bob Monaghan

Bob Monaghan

Howdy All!

Just discovered that my brake light is always on, on my '00 R1100RT.. I've swapped out the switch on the front handle bar, as a quick test. But that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Any suggestions??

bob..

What Stan said.

The connector is between the fuse box and the frame on the right side. If you take it loose , the brake light should go out. ( if that's the problem)

Try some WD40 or a contact type spray. Clean the switch on the bike wipe it down . My 1100Rt used to get all gummed up and a clean up helped.

One other thing that used to cause my light to stay on was my boot. but I am confident that nooneelse ever had that problem?????????

Yep...agree that it could be rear brake pedal switch.

Had that problem twice...

Fixed it both time with BMW special silver portable adhesive coating and shim kit. (i.e. a bit of duct tape)

That little spring thingy (how's that for tech talk) gets weak over time and need a little extra help to close all the way. Worth a try and it's the cheapest beemer fix you'll ever make.

Cameron

What Stan said.

The connector is between the fuse box and the frame on the right side. If you take it loose , the brake light should go out. ( if that's the problem)

I got so sick and tired of replacing waterlogged rear brake switches on my K100RT, I made a proper rear switch based on a hermetically sealed reed switch (actuated by a magnet on the foot lever), and feeding a sealed custom made electronic interface that plugs into the normal brake connector. End of problem.

The point is, any rear brake switch that is mounted down by the brake pedal is likely going to be defective, sooner or later.

Bob.

Archived