IGNORED

Blue/rusty exhaust pipes.

Rpstk

Hi Guys,

I'm new here. Everyone seems great.

My 02 RT has rusty exhaust pipes near the area where the front fender splashes and the pipes are blue near the cyl. heads, any suggestions on what to use to clean the rust and blue fron the pipes?

I just bought this bike and after a 15 year span on 4 wheels I am EXCITED about riding again.

The enthusiasm here is so great!!!

Thanks!!

Bob

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

You could get the pipes ceramic coated at someplace like Jet Hot. Great results, fair prices, and in some cases helps with heat management.

Hi Restk, Welcome to the Forum! Like Uberxy said, I would recommend pulling off your headers and sending them into;http://www.performancecoatings.com/. For about $40 they will ceramic coat them in just about any color including highly reflective Chrome! They won't discolor and will look great!. To prevent the front wheel from slinging trash on your headers, just buy a front fender extension or put some sort of extension on your existing front fender! thumbsup.gif

It's unlikely to be rust as the pipes are stainless, but stuff thrown up from the road does burn to a brown film -- minimising the stuff will reduce the brown film.

Short of ceramic coating, there isn't much else you can do about the colour. It can be polished off, but it'll be back in the first couple of hours' riding after.

Either way, the pipes will outlast pretty well everything else!

phoenixtexas

Bob: I got mine ceramic coated with the chrome finish thousands of miles ago and the appearance hasn't changed. Let me know and I'll send you a pic to help make up your mind.

Welcome to the group Bob.

If your exhaust is looking poorly with all the road grime that accumulates and you want to keep it looking new, then ceramic coating is for you. Some like that "lived in" look, others don't.

I had my head pipes done by Performance Coatings a few years ago just after purchasing my 04', and they still look new. Several colors are available so have a look Here

Exhaustweb.jpg

John Dickens
It's unlikely to be rust as the pipes are stainless, but stuff thrown up from the road does burn to a brown film -- minimising the stuff will reduce the brown film.

When I removed what I thought was burnt on crud I found the pipes underneath to be badly pitted. I know they're supposed to be stainless steel but mine were definitely corroding.

Archived