IGNORED

Fuel filter relocation

Amos

If you will be working in this area, I'd like to caution you about the "rigid" plastic lines that form your fuel distributor. This plastic is relatively thin wall and can be damaged quite easily, even using flat gripping pliers like duck bills. I am still waiting for parts to come in the mail.

If you are concerned about the pressure in the fuel system and the possible bursting of your metal fuel filter, here is another thing to worry about, as the plastic tubing that forms the fuel lines are pretty wimpy. John S Boise

John Dickens

I like this version! I tried mine in the 'Lentini' position but the filter wouldn't let the tupperware fit asit should so I moved mine to the space next to the rear shock adjuster. I wish I'd seen this one first though.

Thank you all. I have actually done this on both of my past RT's and the mind at my age just needs reassurance. Thank Again The 1150 will have new lines this weekend.

I prefer the location back by the rear shock adjuster. That area is easily accessable on the road by pulling off the right cover. This new location requires pulling the right side tupperware to service! confused.gif

No_Twilight
If you will be working in this area, I'd like to caution you about the "rigid" plastic lines that form your fuel distributor. This plastic is relatively thin wall and can be damaged quite easily, even using flat gripping pliers like duck bills. I am still waiting for parts to come in the mail.

If you are concerned about the pressure in the fuel system and the possible bursting of your metal fuel filter, here is another thing to worry about, as the plastic tubing that forms the fuel lines are pretty wimpy. John S Boise

John,

I think your caution is good considering how difficult and expensive to replace this rigid tubing that is actually part of the fuel pressure regulator assembly. However, we have enough things to worry about here on this discussion board without false alarms so I wouldn't agree that it is wimpy. It will not hold up to squeezing with plier, I would agree. But I've had my hoses off many times w/o using plier and without incident. I've remarked at how sturdy the plastic is that BMW made it out of. As for doing a relatively dodo headed move and breaking it with pliers, don't feel bad. We've all had similar problems. My worst one in the past few years was smashing the little ceramic PC board that is the fuel level gauge sending unit ($214 at BMW). It is right behind the fuel filter inside the gas tank and I was using a screwdriver to pry the hose off and it slipped...oops. Fortunately I found a used one on Ebay.

A Tip for those who attempt this mod: Keep your hoses away from hot of sharp or even hard corners. You don't want your fuel line to fret away and start leaking. Also, inspect it every 6 months or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first. And I used the u-tube from inside the gas tank on the front of the filter to reverse the hose toward the rear of the bike and routed both hoses together up to the tank, totally avoiding the jug area.

Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry

I just meant that the tubing was wimpy in relation to the metal body of the fuel filter (I had read about f/filters bursting). It obviously can do the job, if some ham-handed mechanic does not mess it up! (me)

I have no fear of disassembly of the bike, I have cleared my mind, entered a zen-like state, and I will replace the distributor lines as soon as my part arrives. It is an opportunity to get the marginal corrosion on the batterry box under control by coating it with POR 15. John S Boise thumbsup.gif

Archived