IGNORED

Heated Grip question

Chal De Cecco

Chal De Cecco

On a recent trip to Lassen National Park and the' Lost Coast', I ran into some very cold conditions for this time of year in Northern Cal. I used the grip heaters on my new RS while wearing some thinner Klim leather gloves. At first stage, the heat worked too well forcing me to turn the system off after 5 minutes. Using the second more intense stage was out of the question within a couple of minutes.

All seems well with the bike. Any fix here except for maybe changing to thicker gloves. I have the stock grips on the bike. Ambient temps in some areas were between 35 and 40 degrees in the early morning/late afternoon hours.

You could install a set of "Origonal Grip Buddies" rubber/foam wraps that Velcro over your stock grips or foam sleeves for the grips by "Grab On"

They will increase the diameter of your stock grips a bit (some folks want that) and will likely lessen the heat.

Heated grips are like a heated seat or a heated vest, you'll often be adjusting the temp and turning off and on as you use them/it and the outside temp changes.

In a vest or heated jacket fitted with a rheostat, it's hard to find 1 setting that's perfect. In the old days, we only had on-off switches that were constantly being played with.

I bet you wish some of your vintage bikes had heated grips eh?

Edited by Tri750

My R has just two settings as well. I use the high to get them warmed up at first then switch to the low setting. Even on low it is a little too warm and I found my self cycling them off and on, until the temperature of the day warms up to the point where I didn't want heat at all.

Look around for gloves with a thinner palm,but insulated back.

BMW and Held make a $$ 2 in 1 glove,one compartment ventilated,second is Gortex with some insulation.

Found the Held version in like new condition for cheap on fleabay and they work well for 3 season CA riding for me.

Glad your RS has better grips,my '14 GSA(along with others)has marginal heated grips.Apparently improved in '15 and later models.

JR356

Look around for gloves with a thinner palm,but insulated back.

BMW and Held make a $$ 2 in 1 glove,one compartment ventilated,second is Gortex with some insulation.

Found the Held version in like new condition for cheap on fleabay and they work well for 3 season CA riding for me.

Glad your RS has better grips,my '14 GSA(along with others)has marginal heated grips.Apparently improved in '15 and later models.

JR356

I find my grip heaters (2011 RT) work very well. But I must admit, I'm in the southeast, and do not suffer from the thermic conditions of the northern guys.

James L

My '14 RT has very good grip heaters. Never have I run them on the hottest setting, rarely on the lowest setting. About perfect. Mine has never had any updates since purchase, in case they "update" the heater settings like they did the seat heat for some.