IGNORED

Opinion - SW Motech / Givi ??

DBLXX

Deciding on these 2 different systems. They use similar but different tank ring systems. Anyone with experience or an opinion?

I like the looks, style and size of this bag.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-quick-lock-evo-engage-non-electric-tank-bag

I like the rigid nature of this one and the phone slot on top is very useful.

http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/soft-luggage/tanklock-system/st602-tanklock-tank-bag-detail

I bought the SW Mototech with ring for my 2014RT. I love it. I have no experience with the GIVI, but I am sure it is good too. It was the first thing I added to my bike when new as I use it all the time. It is somewhat tapered to follow the tank and I liked that a lot better than my former bag that just sat on top like a box.

I ordered mine from Twisted Throttle. I don't know if they will do what they did for me. I was torn between the big one and little one. I wrote them and asked them if I bought both, didn't use them or take them out of their plastic, could I return the one I didn't want. They said yes. I was very very careful not to disturb anything. I chose the one that looked the best, sent the other one back, and all was good. Here is the materials list and like I unfortunately do, I chose the most expensive one. I'm glad I did. Twisted Throttle was very nice about it and it is a great bag. I would write or call first, but think you would like the one I bought. Not cheap, but not cheaply made either.

Item No.

Product Name

Ordered

Shipped

Price

Total

BC.TRS.00.104.2000

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Non-Electric QUICK-LOCK EVO City Tankbag for SW-MOTECH QUICK-LOCK Mounting System

$219.99

$219.99

TRT.00.640.12601B

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection QUICK-LOCK Type 126 EVO Tankbag Bottom Tankring

$39.99

$39.99

BC.TRS.00.108.2000

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Non-Electric QUICK-LOCK EVO Daypack Tankbag for SW-MOTECH QUICK-LOCK Mounting System

$129.99

$129.99

BC.TRS.00.150.1000

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Map Holder for Quick-Lock Tankbags

$34.99

$34.99

I can't really compare fairly, but I opted for a Givi XS307, primarily due to its much lower price. I was happy when I first installed it and I remain please with it. I electrified the bag with a Powerlet electrification kit, adding to its versatility.

I did do some surgery. I sliced off the auxiliary strap on the front and cut out the internal rain collar, which just seemed to get in the way (plus, it comes with an external rain cover.

So, no direct comparison, but a happy Givi customer!

Both Givi and SW-Motech are excellent bags.

I have the same as Skywagon as I like the way that the bag can be secured to the bike via a locking pin that prevents the release latch from operating.

Which is a long way of saying that I don't have to lug the bag around when I'm off the bike.

Hope this helps,

John

Here's my reply within your other "mods" thread.

Cut and Paste

I had/have an SW Motech tank bag set up.

At the time, I also owned a 2015 GS LC. Set up the mount on the bag where it could transfer between the 2 bikes.

Have it now on my 2010 Camhead GS. (just yesterday 10/9/16, bought a 2013 RT, I'll be using the bag on that as well.)

I like the system.. Only gripe was that the top of the Bags Connection bag deforms and is somewhat wrinkled/warped.

No big deal... just would be nice if it retained it's shape a bit better. If you go with the City... Keep it dry, letting the top get wet doesn't help it to keep it's shape.

If you want, send me your e-mail via PM. I'll send a pic or 2.

Posting a pic here is not as simple as I'm accustomed to and I can't spend half a day on it.

One gent in this thread has the SWMoteck/Bags Connection Engage Bag, and another has the City Bag. I've had both. I think either will work fine on your RT. The City, although smaller in capacity, might be a bit wider toward the front. Possible slight handlebar contact when at or near full lock. Depends some on where you position the mount on the bag.

Check the templates on the Twisted Throttle site.

I like the larger capacity of the City over the Engage.

The Engage is smaller and tidier.

Everyone uses their bags differently.

The GIVI might be a good option.

My choice was influenced by the way the SW Motech bags flow down to follow the contour of the tank. It's an aesthetic consideration.

Edited by DMilan

I also have the SW Motech City bag on my 2015 RT. Very satisfied with the size and function of the bag. I typically just remove it from the the bike and carry it by the handle (there is also a shoulder strap for it) if I'll be out of sight line of the bike. It can be a little fiddly right at first getting it locked on the ring, but once you get the feel of where to place it, quite simple.

2 of my buddies run these bags. They both went with SW Motech and did not like the mechanism that locks on and off and they both went to the Givi and are very happy they did. I do not use a tank bad so not technically first hand experience. But just what I have observed.