IGNORED

Low Mileage 2011 R1200RT or hold out for a Wet Head?

NWBeemerBoy

Hey guys, a local dealer has an ultra-low mileage pristine 2011 RT with only 1900 miles on the ODO and is pretty well loaded. He wants $13K. I currently have a 2004 RT and I'm wanting real cruise control and ESA and better brakes. So, the 2011 checks those boxes. The new wet heads with the fly by wire throttle bottles and all of the possibilities that brings are pretty exciting too, but it's hard to walk by the bargain. Any good reason I should walk by the 2011 from you guys that have known both?

The 2011 is a pretty good year for the RT. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, as I think most of the problems some of the earlier generation bikes had were gone or lesser on that generation.

The $13K is what I don't see. Yes, it is low mileage. But that could mean it still needs tires, maintenance or other things. Age isn't miles, but it matters. It is now 6 years old by the book.....

For a very few thousand dollars more you could find a used Wethead RT. Which to date is proving to be a very, very good bike in reliability, durability, maintenance, and all around performance and comfort. Coming off an Oilhead like I did, either bike will be quite an upgrade. I have not owned a Camhead so I cannot tell you exactly how much difference in overall comfort, handling, and performance there is.

Go for the wet head I did , traded in my 04RT with 108,000 miles for my current 14RT , loved my 04RT love my 14RT more, take one for a test ride and you'll see why.

ME, not a fan of the LC / sold 2

I'm in the minority.

Which dealer?

Washington State or DC?

Guessin' State...

State is too far, DC maybe.

Let me know if you pass.

Depends on the trim level.

Radio... ugh, for what?... no

2 tone paint... no

low suspension... no

ESA, ASC, TPM yes x3

I wouldn't pay 13... but

Edited by DMilan

I got my wethead, with just a few more miles, fully serviced, warranteed, and shod with new tires, for $4,000 more than that.

I'm in no way no knocking the previous generation, but the water cooled RT is a phenomenal motorcycle. I'd suggest riding both, to see if the latest is or is not better suited to your desires. If it is, you can probably pick up a '14 wethead for a reasonable price.

I was ready to buy a 2016 leftover RT until I started reading all the threads about the engine noise. I know the guys that still own them say wear earplugs but why should you have to?

I dont even know what people are talking about when they say "engine noise". I love my 2015 RT and it sounds like a motorcycle to me . I've owned allot of different brands. The BMW has character sorta like my Harleys did except way better. I agree with above. Test ride them both, it's the only way to know for sure. The vast majority of wethead owners are very happy with their rides and a few guys dont like the way it sounds. Very few

I was ready to buy a 2016 leftover RT until I started reading all the threads about the engine noise. I know the guys that still own them say wear earplugs but why should you have to?

:dontknow:

That's like rejecting the bike because some stranger dislikes the color.

Part of the reason for liquid cooling is noise reduction.

Sound different than a hexhead? Sure.

Louder? I doubt it.

Ride a wethead and make an informed decision based on your perception.

If you ride any motorcycle, you need to wear earplugs or be happy to have unnecessary hearing loss. It's not engine noise, it's the wind noise that causes the damage.

Edited by lkraus

Huh? I,don't know where you're getting this information. The exhaust has a bit more of a growl under acceleration than previous RTs, but overall it's as gentle as a purring kitten.

I've owned two hex head 1200, an 05 and a 08. Also a K1600 GTL. The wet head in my opinion is the best of the bunch.

GT

+1

After one each airhead, oilhead, hexhead, and camhead, my wethead is the best.

The mileage is low, almost no miles I'm surprised how dark the pipes are already. I'm thinking the bike may of idled and got hot?

To me the price difference isn't enough not to buy the Wethead once you ride one I think you'll understand.

Jay

Edited by strataj

Yes, I found that on my own after seeing your post.

Nice..I've always liked that color.

ASC or TPM?.. prolly not, or they would have listed it...maybe

Low miles is always nice..

It is an '11 though, 6 years old.

Dealers often need to price 10-20 % higher than a private party.. overhead to cover.

Too far away for me, all the way out there on the left coast.

If it were only ~300 miles away, I'd take it for $11-ish

Older R1200 RTs, Hexhead and Camhead seem to be retaining their value quite well.

For an R1200 RT the bottom seems to be $7,000.

2006 RT with 37,000 miles SEVEN

2008 RT with 68,000 miles SEVEN

It goes up from there.

GL with your choice.

The mileage is low, almost no miles I'm surprised how dark the pipes are already. I'm thinking the bike may of idled and got hot?

Morning strataj

It is difficult to tell from the pictures if the pipes are stainless steel or the uplevel chrome plated stainless steel.

If they are the base plain stainless then that discoloration is normal even at very low miles & they will even darken from air contact.

If they are the chrome plated stainless then they will eventually turn a more bluish/purple than brown.

Hey guys, a local dealer has an ultra-low mileage pristine 2011 RT with only 1900 miles on the ODO and is pretty well loaded. He wants $13K. I currently have a 2004 RT and I'm wanting real cruise control and ESA and better brakes. So, the 2011 checks those boxes. The new wet heads with the fly by wire throttle bottles and all of the possibilities that brings are pretty exciting too, but it's hard to walk by the bargain. Any good reason I should walk by the 2011 from you guys that have known both?

I just got a new 2016 w/premium for $5K more.

I'd get new.

See this thread...another member looks like trading in his 2015 for maybe 14ish...bet there is a deal to be made there for maybe a bit more.

That's only a couple of thousand more than a soon to be 6 year old bike. The 11 is a really good bike...but as others have said...not in the same league as this newer ones. It's no Hyabusa but the updates 125hp engine is pretty darn fast. It's fast enough you can't open the throttle all the way in 1st or 2nd without traction control kicking in. The wet clutch is awesome..no more burning smell on hills. Hill control is my favorite feature, no more worrying about heat in traffic as radiator, antifreeze, and dual fans. There are tons to like about the new ones. I loved the older ones as well...but for a couple of thousand difference if they were both brand new, the wethead would win that argument hands down especially with warranty years ahead. With the hex being 6 years old...well...would be my second choice and still a fine bike.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=88577&Number=971950#Post971950

OP

you've inspired me

just bought a 2013 RT off of a flea bay auction.

see my prior posts

$11,500

Not the right color..blue

unfortunately 350 miles away, but right near my sister in DC. Otherwise aces..

Cut and Paste

ONLY 5,058 Miles / EXCELLENT CONDITION - Always Garage Kept

Last Annual Service Completed 200 miles ago and tires in very good condition.

THIS GENTLY USED R1200 HAS BEEN METICULOUSLY CARED FOR AND MAINTAINED, and includes:

FEATURES & OPTIONS

ABS Brakes

Heated Front and Rear Seats

Heated Hand Grips

Electrically Adjustable Windshield

Cruise Control

Audio System / AM-FM Radio with Built-in Bluetooth

Side Stand AND Center Stand

On-board computer (shows gear, air temp, trip, trip2, ODO, fuel, engine temp, time)

Tire Pressure Monitors

Dual CAN-bus Power Ports

Chrome Exhaust

Electronic Suspension Adjustment

Automatic Stability Control

EXTRAS INCLUDED:

Additional AeroFlow Windshield

Auxiliary Police Lights (for additional night time illumination)

Additional BMW Low Seat

Givi Rear Carrier w/ Top Rack (big enough to hold a helmet)

Garage Dolly (for ease of storage in tight garage spaces)

Battery Trickle Charger with CAN-bus plug connect

Edited by DMilan

FYI, a 2014 RT has been posted for sale in our classifieds for a $16,000 asking price.

Possibly the wrong side of the country for you, but a good point of comparison.

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, KBB retail value for an '11 RT in excellent condition is $10,735. If you're interested in the '11, you might wanna bring that information to the dealers attention. Coming down $2k may make it more attractive than going for a wethead. If you were inclined to go that way. KBB on a '14 RT is $14,745, but I don't think I've seen a used wethead that cheap. In the end it really comes down to how long the dealers had it and, now that the season is slowing down for dealers, how motivated they are to move it.