IGNORED

Bike will ONLY start in neutral

BeemerBerg

All of a sudden my 2010 camhead will only start when the transmission is in neutral. Kickstand up or down; clutch in or out. A real PITA if parked in gear, and I just want to start her up and get going--gotta put the transmission in neutral.

Where should I start looking??

Thanks.

Edited by BeemerBerg
beemer chuck

Probably the clutch lever switch. If you have access to a GS-911 diagnostic tool you can check the switch function. There are actually 2 switches in the assembly. One for the cruise and one for the starter interlock. The one in my 2010 RT failed this summer.

Morning BeemerBerg

As Beemer Chuck said it does sound like the clutch switch.

They seldom outright fail but more than likely just get worn or bent.

You might try slightly bending the little lever (reed) on the switch so it operates earlier in the clutch lever pull-in. In a lot of cases that is all it takes to get it functioning again.

1200%20clutch%20switch_zpsismu29rj.jpg

Hank R1200RT

I have found that depressing the starter button first, then giving the clutch a good stiff and quick pull will engage the starter.

Great call DR!!

Pulling the clutch lever was an easy operation, revealing two micro switches: top controls the starter (Clutch in=bike can be started 'in gear'), and the bottom controls the cruise control (tap clutch to disengage cruise).

Seems like the top switch had a some wear. That plus my "Grip Buddy" was causing it to not sufficiently activate the little button switch beneath it. Bending the thin metal bar helped a little, but as the part on the clutch lever touches the bar right at that point, it was like not having enough thickness to depress the button. I also added a tiny strip of Gorilla Tape between the lever and the button, and all is good. Not the most elegant solution, but works until I can think of a better 'gap filler'.

Now the bike will start in any gear with the clutch about 3/4 to fully engaged. :clap:

clutch%20switches-L.jpg

Edited by BeemerBerg