IGNORED

First mods and/or accessories you recommend??

DBLXX

Taking delivery in the next few weeks.

Does anyone have a SW Motech tank bag that utilizes the gas tank quick attach ring?

Thanks fellas

Does anyone have a SW Motech tank bag that utilizes the gas tank quick attach ring?

Thanks fellas

What model? RT, GS, or ??? As far as the tank bag, I'd urge you to look at the Givi models also. They are similar in design to the SW Motech bags (quick release ring), but less expensive. I one and electrified it with a kit from Powerlet.

As far as other early mods, I'd suggest something to protect it cosmetically. ScuffBlocker film is a great way to protest your bags. Moving up the ladder in cost, I'd consider some cylinder head protection bars. I opted for. ilium Works' bars, but there are other options.

Can't beat a WERKS windshield; amazing amount of wind noise reduction.

Ilium Works bar backs, and Suburban Machinery or KnightDesign lowered foot pegs if you need them.

SHAD top case if the BMW top case $ frightens you. If not, also check out the BMW 1600 GTL top case.

And of course a different seat of which there are many to chose from.

WONDERFUL MOTORCYCLE!

Can't beat a WERKS windshield; amazing amount of wind noise reduction.

Ilium Works bar backs, and Suburban Machinery or KnightDesign lowered foot pegs if you need them.

SHAD top case if the BMW top case $ frightens you. If not, also check out the BMW 1600 GTL top case.

And of course a different seat of which there are many to chose from.

WONDERFUL MOTORCYCLE!

+1 on the Werks windshield. It really does work.

GT

Thanks fellas

I have the City bag on my 2015 RT...love it. It can be a little fiddly right at first figuring out where to place it on the ring to get the latch to catch, but eventually you get the feel and it's very easy.

Thanks fellas

What model? RT, GS, or ??? As far as the tank bag, I'd urge you to look at the Givi models also. They are similar in design to the SW Motech bags (quick release ring), but less expensive. I one and electrified it with a kit from Powerlet.

As far as other early mods, I'd suggest something to protect it cosmetically. ScuffBlocker film is a great way to protest your bags. Moving up the ladder in cost, I'd consider some cylinder head protection bars. I opted for. ilium Works' bars, but there are other options.

I ride with 2 buddies who BOTH tried the SW Motech gas cap mount bag and switched to the Givi. They tell me the latch that fits not he gas cap works much better on the Givi. The bag itself is really slick looking too and is almost a hard shell!

Good luck ... I pick up my 2016 RT on Saturday so this thread is of interest to me as well!

Paint protection film. FIRST. Because you'll wish you put that on BEFORE your first scuff mark. Everything else can be added later without harm. I'd opt for a Werks windshield, big 'ol topcase (painted to match, of course) and a nice set of aux lights (or 5.)

I'm at the Scrambler launch at the moment. I'll tell you this: BMW certainly knows how to wine and dine the press!

-MKL

Not in any particular order:

Navigator V

Bill Mayer saddle

Ilium Works barbacks

Suburban Machinery peg lowering

Ilium Works adjustable brake lever

Werks windshield

Paint protection film. FIRST. Because you'll wish you put that on BEFORE your first scuff mark. Everything else can be added later without harm. I'd opt for a Werks windshield, big 'ol topcase (painted to match, of course) and a nice set of aux lights (or 5.)

I'm at the Scrambler launch at the moment. I'll tell you this: BMW certainly knows how to wine and dine the press!

-MKL

Any recommendation on protection film or dealers who install?

Any recommendation on protection film or dealers who install?

Our own EffBee here on the site is your source! He is about ready to go full steam ahead, now finishing up the installation videos for those that want to install the pre-cut form fitting nearly invisible protection film.

Maybe he can chime in here with updates?

The very first thing I bought for my bike was a Cee Bailey's headlight protector. I had a small rock go through my 2004 R1150RS headlight lens and that cost about $350. I'll bet the 2014+ RT headlight assembly is North of $500. I won't own a bike without a headlight guard after my first experience with a broken headlight assembly.

Taking delivery in the next few weeks. Thanks fellas

HVMP Bar Ends, 17+oz, attenuate vibration enough to warrant the $70 cost for the black ones.

Wunderlich side-stand enlarger is perfect.

Having learned how to avoid scuffing the side cases by mounting/dismounting mindfully, I opted for BMW's side case self-adhesive plastic guards which look like they belong, and would protect them in the event of a low-speed drop--so no need for anti-scuff film.

BMW's head protectors--they too look like they belong, are built well w/ rubberized materials between the metal and cylinder heads so would work well to prevent scraped valve covers.

Cannot stand the 'meep-meep' horns on typical motos, RTW included. So I installed three horns, the top-rated FIAMM Freeway Blasters x2, plus in the OEM location swapped out the meeper for a Denali Mini Sound Bomb. By leaving this one where the OEM one lives once avoids CANbus fault codes that happen if you remove the OEM horn w/o installing the correct resistor--so bonus you get three horns out it if desired. There is a killer place to install the two FIAMMs, but this requires using the light-bar mount. I don't ride at night and have no desire to add add'l lights because of that.

These babies are tops for the cheapest, most useful accessory providing real value:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Mirrors-Ampper-Adjustabe-Universal/dp/B01CV4ANCC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475763952&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=HD+glass+blind+spot+mirrors&psc=1

For $7 you get two, and they fit perfectly in the upper outer area of the OEM mirrors and are completely effective for blind-spot monitoring.

What I didn't and wished I had from day one is add the one of the headlamp protectors. After 15K miles there are enough pits in the $1000 headlamp lens to make it look like 'Starry Night' when the sucker is backlit when the headlights are on--either low or high beams. Fortunately I don't have to look at it while riding! It's too late now I feel. If I ever get a catastrophic rock hit I will file a comprehensive insurance claim which will pay for it sans $50 deductible.

If per chance the OEM screen does not work for you and you quickly add the highly touted Werks Quiet Ride please message me I will buy the OEM screen from you for the right price. All screens get pitted over time and I'm ok w/ the OEM screen so would keep it as back up, for the right price as I say.

The 28L top case I really like--it's always on the bike, great place for tools etc, and is ultra aerodynamic so best in the wind, but I'm a one-up rider only so plenty of storage for me.

Enjoy your new ride and ride safe!

Edited by NoelCP

+1 on the 28L top box. It's the American way to always go for bigger, but if you aren't riding 2-up, the 28L is plenty, lots cheaper, less weight on the tail of the bike, and not as ungainly as a big 'ole trunk. Forces you pack a bit more carefully.You can always add a tank bag if you need more storage.

Edited by utahskies

+1 on the 28L top case, although it depends on your storage needs. 28L is enough for me and it looks great. I've owned both a 49L and 28L and I found the 28L actually seems to stabilize the bike a bit a highway speeds whereas the 49L gets pushed around by the wind and also takes away some of the rear view in the mirrors. I'm not a fan of the look of Givi boxes but they're well-made.

Grip Puppies are a help for my wrist maladies.

Hyperlites are great brake- and turn lights.

Werks windshield is a wonder at silencing wind noise and eliminating buffeting when raised about halfway but there are trade-offs for me. I find more wind buffeting at its lowest setting than with the OEM windshield at its lowest, and the Werks shield's shape seems to focus more engine noise directly at the rider than the OEM shield does. I thought at first that just the calmer air made the engine noise more noticeable, but a couple of A/B tests showed me otherwise: engine noise is slightly less to me with the OEM shield. Regardless, that sweet spot of calm air that eliminates the constant neck-muscle activity from buffeting seals the deal on the Werks for me on long rides.

I added Skene Design turn signal/brake lights on the rear and the Skene Photo Blaster to the front. Wonderful safety feature. They do work! People really see you with these lights.

GT

Ahh, one more. Grip Puppies for sure.

On a side note, I fashioned some cooler guards out of stainless wire mesh framed in vacuum hose. They fit well, caused no displayed increase in engine/coolant temp via the dash, but decided to remove them for 3 reasons: 1. BMW announced they will not honor warranty claims for engine damage they deem to be secondary to overheating, including exhaust valves I've read. 2. It became nigh to impossible to clean out the bug hits between the screens and radiators. 3. I have to think, knocking on wood now, radiator punctures to where these radiators are must be very rare, though of course possible.

I sold my 2014 RT LC over a year ago... wasn't a big fan.

But, I do have experience with some farkles for it.

I had an SW Motech tank bag set up.

At the time, I also owned a 2015 GS LC. Set up the mount on the bag where it could transfer between the 2 bikes.

Have it now on my 2010 Camhead GS.

I like the system.. Only gripe was that the top of the Bags Connection bag deforms and is somewhat wrinkled/warped.

Standard screen wasn't too good IMO. Good protection, but too much wind noise.

Installed a Laminar Lip on it. Didn't fit well. Think they just used the pre LC Lip. Worked Okay though, much better than without.

Maybe the Werks screen is a good option. Spoke with the gent that sells them. Seems like a good guy.

Browsing my BMWMOA magazine, I see that Aeroflow now has a screen with a flip on the top for the RT LC. I think that's a new rendition, not sure though. Always liked a flip on the top of a motorcycle screen.

I think that the Werks screen flips at the top as well.

The one add on that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is a front fender extender.

Machineartmoto makes a fine offering. A bit bit pricey compared to some others, but a sweet design with an excellent mounting system.

I had one on mine... very nice.. recommended.

Their cylinder head/valve covers guards are nice too.

http://machineartmoto.com/r1200rt/2014-rt_lc/avant-rt_lc/

Now go spend some more money!

Edited by DMilan

The one add on that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is a front fender extender.

Machineartmoto makes a fine offering. A bit bit pricey compared to some others, but a sweet design with an excellent mounting system.

I had one on mine... very nice.. recommended.

Their cylinder head/valve covers guards are nice too.

http://machineartmoto.com/r1200rt/2014-rt_lc/avant-rt_lc/

+1 on the Machineartmoto fender extender. The front of the engine acquired a mess of crud within the first 500 miles before I got this. No drilling and looks good.

I've been browsing around for valve cover protectors but they're all pretty ugly to me. The simple BMW plastic ones I had on my Hexhead then Camhead were just right. Big erector-set/GS-type crash bars bolted on all over the bike aren't for me although I'm sure they'd save a ton in repair costs in a bad spill.

What I've bought so far:

Machine Art fender extender

Kickstand puck

Tank Pads

BMW small tail softbag 3

Nav V

Covercraft formfit cover

Canbus Charger

Grip puppies

Thanks to all - keep em' coming

Edited by DBLXX

1. Machine motoart fender extender.

2. Machine motoart head protectors. Or crash bars from iluim.

3. clear paint protector for your saddle bags or anything else you want to cover, I did my tank, saddlebags and front fender thetankslapper.biz has all the kits for our bikes.

4. kickstand foot enlarger. There are many out there iluim and bmw

has one also. I used the bmw one it just looked better to me.

5. Tank pads are nice. I use the techspec nice feel.

6. possible new seats. I have the sargent (verdict still out) they seem ok. Waiting for them to break in.

7. Nav V is great and works well with the wonderwheel.

8. RKA saddle bag liners ,just used them on a trip and they are well designed.

9. Larger wallet!!