IGNORED

Continued Accolades

duegatti

Rats. Did not insert picture correctly. Crap.

bwn_r1_2000x1200.jpg

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks.

Edited by Mike

photo linking issue due to the address not being a direct link to the jpeg file

delete everything after jpg except the bbcode [/img]

inculde the http://

deleted my photo because it is covered below

Edited by rxcrider

Jake beat me to it! When you post photos like these without a direct link, it gets messed up. Jake deleted everything after the .jpg extension, which allowed the software to display it here.

Jake beat me to it!

Rxcrider beat me to it while I was futzing for a decent explanation. Then he edited/deleted his photo to avoid duplicity. Give that man a free BMWST subscription for life!

Thanks! I will endeavor to understand and implement in the future.

Now that we've dealt with my ineptitude - how about that RT!?. I think this is the second time in three years that it's won the best sport tourer. Somebody also gave it best tourer a year or so ago. Three years is a long time in motorcycle evolution.

The RTLCs really do it all wonderfully. The tech package is superb to and including touches like TPM, styling is unique, forward looking and attractive, and I think its relatively lighter weight contributes to best sport handling in class compared to competing SST's. The '17 RTLC appears to add some nice new tech and improve on the N to 1st clunk. The only area I don't find to be absolutely perfect is the engine generates some less than lovely noises which I understand have to do w/ some of the water boxers redesign over former models and how those noise emanate from parts on the bike that RTLC's fairly will echo towards the rider, but it's a non-issue for me as I wear earplugs.

I'm hoping a brand comes out with an ST that is targeted for the aging rider who wants the full comfort and tech and performance in a lighter package. You can't find one that is fully comfort-oriented complete w/ electric screen and decent seat until you get up to RTLC. I'd love to see a bike with the same tech and comfort set as RTLC enjoys but in a significantly lighter package: ~950cc, HP 112, ~525lbs wet, slightly trimmed fairing & luggage aimed primarily to support 1-up riding which most aging riders do, can leave off the audio package, swap the drive shaft for a belt drive--ultra efficient, quiet, zero maintenance , very lightweight, and I loved it on my F800GT. There are plenty of near hits on this, but you won't find the full tech and comfort inc electric windscreen until you get up to RT and heavier. I think there's a market for the bike I'm describing and it's in the aging rider group who find RTLC to be just a tad heavy.

I'm hoping a brand comes out with an ST that is targeted for the aging rider who wants the full comfort and tech and performance in a lighter package. You can't find one that is fully comfort-oriented complete w/ electric screen and decent seat until you get up to RTLC. I'd love to see a bike with the same tech and comfort set as RTLC enjoys but in a significantly lighter package: ~950cc, HP 112, ~525lbs wet, slightly trimmed fairing & luggage aimed primarily to support 1-up riding which most aging riders do, can leave off the audio package, swap the drive shaft for a belt drive--ultra efficient, quiet, zero maintenance , very lightweight, and I loved it on my F800GT. There are plenty of near hits on this, but you won't find the full tech and comfort inc electric windscreen until you get up to RT and heavier. I think there's a market for the bike I'm describing and it's in the aging rider group who find RTLC to be just a tad heavy.

+1, only leave the audio package in along with the Satnav.

... The only area I don't find to be absolutely perfect is the engine generates some less than lovely noises which I understand have to do w/ some of the water boxers redesign over former models and how those noise emanate from parts on the bike that RTLC's fairly will echo towards the rider, but it's a non-issue for me as I wear earplugs.

Agreed. The wethead's engine sound can be a rather obnoxious waaaaaahhhhh, especially when engine-braking. It's not the exhaust note that's bad but the overall tone from the engine that to me is unpleasant sometimes, even with earplugs. As a musician maybe I notice it more. It's subjective, but I preferred the camhead/hexhead engine sound -- but of course the new RT's engine is superior in most other ways.

Anyway, I've found a way to alter the engine noise a bit by applying cut sections of thin HVAC duct insulation to the inside of certain parts of the bodywork. If you rap your knuckles on the knee cowling and other body parts you'll notice a hollow timbre/resonance that seems to amplify the engine sound rather than shield it. Deadening these panels somewhat has made a noticeable difference in sound to me.

Expensive automotive body sound deadening adhesive sheet/rolls are available but they're asphalt- or rubber-based and fairly heavy. A $15 roll of very thin, foil-backed adhesive foam HVAC duct insulation available from Home Depot applied strategically to the inside of body panels does the trick without adding weight. No need to go crazy and cover the whole interior of panels or apply it to areas right near the engine (although it should tolerate heat). I found that applying a few custom-cut sections and testing by knuckle-tapping reduces the resonance and sound-focusing of the plastic bodywork and reduces the noise of the engine -- not greatly but noticeably. My 2c.

... The only area I don't find to be absolutely perfect is the engine generates some less than lovely noises which I understand have to do w/ some of the water boxers redesign over former models and how those noise emanate from parts on the bike that RTLC's fairly will echo towards the rider, but it's a non-issue for me as I wear earplugs.

Agreed. The wethead's engine sound can be a rather obnoxious waaaaaahhhhh, especially when engine-braking. It's not the exhaust note that's bad but the overall tone from the engine that to me is unpleasant sometimes, even with earplugs. As a musician maybe I notice it more. It's subjective, but I preferred the camhead/hexhead engine sound -- but of course the new RT's engine is superior in most other ways.

Anyway, I've found a way to alter the engine noise a bit by applying cut sections of thin HVAC duct insulation to the inside of certain parts of the bodywork. If you rap your knuckles on the knee cowling and other body parts you'll notice a hollow timbre/resonance that seems to amplify the engine sound rather than shield it. Deadening these panels somewhat has made a noticeable difference in sound to me.

Expensive automotive body sound deadening adhesive sheet/rolls are available but they're asphalt- or rubber-based and fairly heavy. A $15 roll of very thin, foil-backed adhesive foam HVAC duct insulation available from Home Depot applied strategically to the inside of body panels does the trick without adding weight. No need to go crazy and cover the whole interior of panels or apply it to areas right near the engine (although it should tolerate heat). I found that applying a few custom-cut sections and testing by knuckle-tapping reduces the resonance and sound-focusing of the plastic bodywork and reduces the noise of the engine -- not greatly but noticeably. My 2c.

Wow! And I thought I had heard every complaint.

GT

It's not the exhaust note that's bad but the overall tone from the engine that to me is unpleasant sometimes, even with earplugs. As a musician maybe I notice it more. It's subjective, but I preferred the camhead/hexhead engine sound -- but of course the new RT's engine is superior in most other ways.

I hear mainly two objectionable sounds and agree it's not the exhaust note. 1. There is almost a hammering sound that I presume is just some particular position in the 4-stroke cycle, firing presumably--so I think that is just baked in at some level. And earplugs can actually screen out lower dB sound and end up making this hammering sound more prominent. 2. There is what I thought was a pre-ignition sound under any load starting around 2800 or so on up to 3800 at which point it either disappears completely or is drowned out by louder road and engine noise. I called it a 'fluttering' sound and several others at BMWLT said they knew what I was referring to. I was initially concerned about it enough I went back to the dealer and asked if I could test ride a new one, and same same even more noticeable so I left it be from there.

Wow, good approach with dampening the speakers that are the panels. I might do it next time they're off but honestly it is not really that nasty, just not a good thing, especially when wearing ear plugs.