IGNORED

Spline lube tools

sixth gear

Hey there all!

I am in the middle of doing winter maintenance on my 2004 RT with about 51,000 miles on it. You know the pre summer riding maintenance teeth.gif. Anyway who knows where I can get the alignment tool needed for the transmission while doing the spline lube? I'm about to tackle that one next.

TIA

Dan

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

If you're referring to the alignment pins for removing and reinstalling the transmission you can make them or order a set from BMW. The BMW ones are expensive.

To make them get four bolts 8mm, 1.25 thread pitch, of a reasonable hardness. Tell the place you get them from that you are going to be cutting the heads off. I would be sure they are at least four (4) inches long, mine were about five (5). Hack the heads off then cut a slot for a flat head screw driver in them with a hack saw.

Later,

Mark

And if you make four of the alignment pins you don't really need a clutch centering tool. I just used the transmission itself and that worked out pretty well.

No_Twilight

I'm finishing a batch of alignment tools for board members. I delivered the first one this weekend and got positive feedback on the workmanship. If you want me to make you one PM me. Thanks, Jerry

A clutch alignment tool is not a necessity; it is a convenience. On my K100, I just do up the bolts on the clutch JUST enough to keep the clutch disk loosely in place, then center the disk by eyeball, then push the transmission in place. This will move the disk to center. Then I pull out the tranny and tighten the clutch bolts and replace the tranny again.

I realize that R-bikes are laid out differently than K-bikes, but the basic principles still hold.

Bob.

Well Thank you for the reply's. I appreciate all of the wisdom/advice this board has to offer. Will be working on at least one of these tools tonight.

Again, Thank you thumbsup.gif

Archived