IGNORED

Spiegler USA - Replacement Brake Line

psyctrance

At 50 bucks for a simple brake line, they'd BETTER be good!

Personally it seems to me that unless there is physical damage to your stock lines, there is no reason to change them. My good ol' '86 K100RT has nearly 200,000 km on the clock, and even was driven by a former owner from Sweden to India and back years ago (yes, I have seen the photos to prove it!). It still has the stock brake lines and they are in perfect shape.

Bob.

I've got a set of Spiegler brake lines on my '99 RT-P. I only rode the bike about 150 miles before installing the kit, so I don't have any real before/after experience to relate on that machine. I do know that with the Spiegler lines and EBC HH pads up front, the brakes work great. Excellent feel and the bike stops right NOW. The installation was pretty easy, took about an hour. I had to do some grinding on the T-fitting to get it to fit properly on the right fork. Use a bench vise to hold the lines in the plastic clamps while lining up the banjo fittings.

I replaced the brake lines on my '97 YZF-600R back in 2001 at 36000 miles, using a Russell s/s kit. The difference in brake performance was like night and day. The rubber lines do deteriorate a little over time...weather cracking and whatnot. To me, it seems like cheap insurance to replace the lines somewhere after the 5-7 year mark. After that, you'll probably never have to worry about the brake lines again.

Just my 2 cents worth, YMMV.

I did change the lines on one of my bikes. With 25 years on the rubber lines (the XS), I chose to replace them while I was doing a brake overhaul/upgrade. I paid for SS lines to improve my brake feel. The two line kit I needed ran $100* shipped. No grinding, no adjusting, no nothing. Just bolt and bleed. Works great, and will last the life of the bike. (Personally I am hoping for at least another 25 years.)

Note: I (still) have stock lines on my Beemer, and the old CL has all mechanical brakes - no hydraulics. I am sure I will eventually switch the Beemer, but with a mere 12k on the clock and consistently garaged, the bike is pretty cherry.

313-Matt

* I found Goodrich SS lines from Michael at Vintage Brake (www.vintagebrake.com) were a little cheaper than the Spiegler lines. (Only silver color, though.) Michael "Mercury" Morse is an all around great guy who knows his stuff, and was good to deal with. I have no financial interest in Vintage Brake, but when you have a good experience - share it.

Archived