IGNORED

Mirror visibility issues 2016 RT

NIM205

Having completed more than 7500 km on the RT, I now feel better qualified to differentiate between difficulties that need more time to get used to, and issues that are not going to go away by themselves.

One such issue is the mirrors. I've never owned a bike with such low fairing mounted mirrors before, and didn't realize the large blind spots they leave. In 2012 I rented a Honda ST1300 in Europe for a week and I don't remember a rear visibility problem, but with the RT, this has been unnerving me from day 1.

I found online this product and installed it yesterday:

mirror%203%20small_zpsxfjb8rod.jpg

mirror%202%20small_zpsmzdfvj56.jpg

The installation was very easy. The new clamps don't have side spacers like the original, so you have to eyeball the distance from the grip. The clamps are threaded for an 8mm mirror stem connector, but they provide a 10mm adapter with the clamp set.

First impression is good! I can now see more to my sides, and much more behind. I also feel that having them closer to my head enables me to keep more of the field of vision on the road ahead.

They look pretty similar to the standard mirrors on the R bikes. I haven't had any problems with the standard mirrors on my 2015 R1200R. They are small and an odd shape, but they seem to work fine.