IGNORED

Got me a new bike!!!

James L.

OK, so I found a 2011 BMW R1200RT in Denver (yes, a long way from Alabama).

The price was way too good to pass up. I called the guy, and basically asked if the bike was in good shape. He said it was so I agreed to purchase it.

I flew out Tuesday, paid for the bike, and started home on Wednesday. I got home tonight.

I got the best deal ever, at least in my mind.

I do have a question though. How much slack is in the drive line of a BMW R1200RT? This one seems to have a lot.

James L

I have a 2012 RT and not sure what you mean by slack in the drive line. Mine runs fine with no noticeable issues. I purchased it used off eBay a couple years ago.

Morning James L.

There is some slack or play as you have ring gear to pinion play in the final drive, a small amount in the drive shaft splines, some gear tooth clearance in the trans, lots of clearance in the trans shift dogs to gear slots, a small amount in the clutch disk to input splines.

It also depends on what gear that you are in as 5th & 6th gear is usually slightly tighter on the shift dog to gear slot fit then the lower gears (will end up giving a couple of inches+ of rear wheel rotational movement at the rear wheel when in gear

On my '06 I measure 31mm slack at the wheel rim, in first gear. Running the bike in gear on the centerstand sounds like a LOT more. Totally normal.

Edited by lkraus
On my '06 I measure 31mm slack at the wheel rim, in first gear. Running the bike in gear on the centerstand sounds like a LOT more. Totally normal.

I'm measuring about 50 mm in first gear at the outermost rim (not tire).

Thanks, I was wondering how much play there was in the drive line. I need to check the shaft splines.

James L

What's the mileage on your RT? Splines on the R1200RT are seldom a problem, but universal joints are sometimes worn out by 70,000-80,000 miles.

Edited by lkraus

I'm measuring about 50 mm in first gear at the outermost rim (not tire).

Afternoon James L

50mm (2") is pretty normal for a 1200RT with a few miles on it.

Just make sure that you don't feel any growling or roughness in the riders foot pegs at very low speeds as that is usually a sign of a crown bearing issue coming on.

Afternoon James L

50mm (2") is pretty normal for a 1200RT with a few miles on it.

Just make sure that you don't feel any growling or roughness in the riders foot pegs at very low speeds as that is usually a sign of a crown bearing issue coming on.

No gear growling, I was listening for that on the 1200 mile ride I did to get the bike home.

Just glad to find out that the slack is normal.

James L.

What's the mileage on your RT? Splines on the R1200RT are seldom a problem, but universal joints are sometimes worn out by 70,000-80,000 miles.

The mileage is 78 thou and some change. I put a thousand on it getting it home.

James L

OK, so I found a 2011 BMW R1200RT in Denver (yes, a long way from Alabama).

The price was way too good to pass up. I called the guy, and basically asked if the bike was in good shape. He said it was so I agreed to purchase it.

I flew out Tuesday, paid for the bike, and started home on Wednesday. I got home tonight.

I got the best deal ever, at least in my mind.

I do have a question though. How much slack is in the drive line of a BMW R1200RT? This one seems to have a lot.

James L

Curious.. I'm looking for one too.

How's the bike equipped?

Miles?

whatdjpay?

Curious.. I'm looking for one too.

How's the bike equipped?

Miles?

whatdjpay?

I got the best deal ever. The bike is a 2011. (May build). It is fully loaded minus the ASC, and TPM. Strange combination really. It even has the stereo.

It has the following additions above factory:

BMW top box

Highway pegs (ilium works)

Head guards (ilium works)

Kickstand enlarger

BMW tank bag

Zumo 660 GPS hardwired

Full BMW soft luggage for top box and saddlebags

Half cover (Nelson Rigg)

The mileage was 47012 miles. It has a transferable extended warranty till 2018. One owner with proof of all BMW service from new. Tires are Michelin Pilot 4s with only 2000 miles on them after my trip back to Alabama.

I paid $8500.00.

I feel like I robbed the guy.

James L.

Just Curious, which is correct? 78K or 47K for mileage?

The correct milage at time of purchase was 47012. I dont know where I pulled 78k from. Must have been zoning during that post. I've put about 1200-1500 on it since purchase.

James L.

Thanks for the info..

That's a pretty darned good deal.

Me, I'm always turned on by low miles and yours is not exactly that...

Otherwise, for the year, accessories/esp. GPS and Topcase (either size), and fairly new tires I'd say that's at least a pretty darned good deal.

Sounds like it was probably well maintained and hopefully is nice and clean cosmetically.

Enjoy..

Thanks for the info..

That's a pretty darned good deal.

Me, I'm always turned on by low miles and yours is not exactly that...

Otherwise, for the year, accessories/esp. GPS and Topcase (either size), and fairly new tires I'd say that's at least a pretty darned good deal.

Sounds like it was probably well maintained and hopefully is nice and clean cosmetically.

Enjoy..

I was not real thrilled with the mileage, but after talking to the owner, it was apparent this bike was his mistress. He loved the bike, and had a very specific reason to sell it. The bike is cosmetically perfect if you overlook the right saddlebag that is scratched from shoes sliding over its edge.

It is the best deal with the year that I could find.

James L.