IGNORED

Clutch Cable Longevity

groundeffect

Stan Walker

Anyone have the milage target time for cable replacement?

Don't think there is an official target.

I replaced the original cable on our '96 RT at 70,921. It was still working fine, no broken strands, but I wanted a new cable to go with the new clutch.

They will last a long time if you lube the two little barrel ends from time to time so that they rotate as they are being pulled. That keeps the cable from flexing and breaking.

Stan

Joe Frickin' Friday
Don't think there is an official target.

Agreed. I always carry a spare, but just like the alt belt, if my clutch cable makes it to 36K it gets replaced whether it needs it or not.

My first cable made it to 32K before mostly breaking. I made it 30 miles home on a cable that had only four strands of wire still connected!

Paul Mihalka

You really can't put mileage on the clutch cable. Commuting in stop and go traffic is one thing, riding across Kansas is another thing. As said, with a bit of maintenence at both ends they last a very long time. If the cable is maintained, it gets sticky/grabby before it breaks. I think they have a teflon lining that can wear out.

BMW claims "lifetime of the bike". Yeah, right! But you can make it last a lot longer by regularly greasing the fittings at the ends (especially the fitting in the clutch lever). If this can not freely pivot in the lever, the cable gets constantly subjected to bending, right at the end, and will eventually fatigue and break inside the clutch lever.

Bob.

groundeffect

Thanks Gents!

I just wanted a rough idea what folks are getting because I'm about to do the 40k km service and thought about replacing it as routine mtx. From what I'm reading, I'll wait till 60000 km(37300 sm)

RFW, do you use heavy grease or silicon lube? I've been spraying silicon on the cable ends every 5000 kms

cheers thumbsup.gif

Stan Walker

do you use heavy grease or silicon lube?

General purpose moly grease for me. The can is so old that I don't recall when or where I got it. Or maybe it's me that's so old......

Stan

RFW, do you use heavy grease or silicon lube? I've been spraying silicon on the cable ends every 5000 kms

cheers thumbsup.gif

Avoid Silicone grease like the plague! Silicones make lousy lubricants. Their main claim to fame is that they repel water better than anything else. A typical silicone grease such as Dow Corning's #4 or #111 grease, contains silicone oil, with enough Fumed Silica (a powdery form of SiO2, or quartz!) to thicken the oil to a grease-like consistency. Silica is not a lubricant! These "greases" are mainly intended for waterproofing, not lubrication!

I use a simple lithium based grease for this. A MoS2 ("Moly") grease would be even better, but it makes too much of a black mess!

Bob.

Paul Mihalka

I keep a can of chain lube around. It worked great on cable ends. Now on my R1150R I have a hydraulic clutch. I would prefer cable. The chain lube also works great on the pivots of side stand and center stand.

I have owned old British bikes and newer (1972) Japanese bikes. Have always been able to muddle home when something went amiss. My 01 R1100 R .... Clutch cable failed at a traffic light in downtown Tampa at 14,000 miles. I was stunned. Had to call for a tow. NEVER before in my life.

The local dealer had one... 35.00. fifteen minutes to replace. I ordered a spare, from Bob's. 21.00

The clutch cable on my K100RT broke a while back, right in front of a BMW dealer! Lucky? NOPE! He was out of stock!

So I drove about 8 miles home through downtown Vancouver. Shifting was no problem at all; it goes very smoothly if you shift with the throttle just a crack above closed. Starting off was a bit more of a challenge, but still no really big deal. Trying to synchronize your travel with Vancouver's intentionally red-synchronized traffic lights was the most difficult thing.

Bob.

Archived