IGNORED

Transmission Experts: Would you worry about this?

Santron

After reading several posts on this board about people who have happily changed their transmission fluid to the thicker Mobil 1 75W/140 synthetic gear oil, I decided to take the plunge. When I removed the drain plug, this is what it looked like (below). Is this an excessive amount of metal filings on the drain plug? I know that the the fluid hasn't been changed in 6K miles. The first shot shows the plug as it came out of the bike, and the second is after I sprayed it with brake cleaner to remove the sludge and expose only the metal finings. Should I be worried, or shopping for a new transmission?

plug1.jpg

plug2.jpg

654492-CIMG1011.JPG.bfa93a1f6d985199a6a901c8f93c9409.JPG

russell_bynum

Mine's been making that much metal for 75,000 miles. cool.gif

Don't worry about it, what you are seeing is normal.

Joe Frickin' Friday
plug2.jpg

Get your fingers in there and grab some of that stuff off of the magnet. I think you'll find that it's all extremely fine metallic sludge, not the slivers of metal that it appears to be. It's just the way that iron particles respond to a magnetic field; the little tiny particles follow the magnetic field lines and construct long, thin filaments that look like whole slivers of iron.

If it is indeed all really fine sludge as I suspect, then no problem; you've got a pretty normal quantity on the plug in the first pic. If it actually is chunks of metal, your gearbox is on its way out, and I'd avoid any cross-country trips until you've addressed the problem.

plug2.jpg

Get your fingers in there and grab some of that stuff off of the magnet. I think you'll find that it's all extremely fine metallic sludge, not the slivers of metal that it appears to be. It's just the way that iron particles respond to a magnetic field; the little tiny particles follow the magnetic field lines and construct long, thin filaments that look like whole slivers of iron.

If it is indeed all really fine sludge as I suspect, then no problem; you've got a pretty normal quantity on the plug in the first pic. If it actually is chunks of metal, your gearbox is on its way out, and I'd avoid any cross-country trips until you've addressed the problem.

Yes, you are correct about that; when I cleaned the plug before reinstalling, I was amazed that it was all a fine paste with really no particles of substance - they were not the jagged little pieces of metal that they appeared to be.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Archived