IGNORED

Top Speed Question for the Wethead engines

Chal De Cecco

Chal De Cecco

Has anyone pushed the envelope in a safe and sane manner and reached the outer speed limits on their water cooled twins? During a lengthy ride into the Northern California Lassen Park foothill area, I found an absolutely straight road with zero traffic and no egress access and hit 130 mph as indicated on my GPS. The RS had maybe 2 or 3 more mph in her but the road conditions changed. Elevation was appx. 2,500 ' , bike is all stock. Curious if this top speed is consistent with the 1200 twin engine. Never ran out of gearing, just power. Yes, a seasoned rider but no daredevil by any stretch.

BMW Motorcycle Magazine tested the RT and the RS in their Summer 2016 edition. Their tested top speeds were 142 mph and 147 mph, respectively.

They don't indicate their test conditions. It's possible that they tested the bikes without their panniers, etc.

I have seen 140 indicated on mine and it was still going...I bailed out. Full bags, windshield pretty much down all the way and me hunkered over low..... I suspect 145 ish not out of the question but out of my comfort zone.

I been at 140 and it was still pulling but I ran out of road and had to slow her down but it felt like it had plenty more to go. Don't really want to give it a try again

My 2015 may have shown 136mph on its Nav V. This with a larger size person on board with panniers.

This may have lasted over 5 miles on a private road.

Earlier R1200Rt s have seen 135 mph on their GPSs.

Or may not have?

DSC01353.jpg

Waiting on the Wethead to catch up.

Touring lids, big screen, large rider, not WOT.

Private road of course...

I touched 57 mph. :wave:

MB>

Indicated on the speedo? With BMW's penchant for optimistic speedometer readings, I'd put that at about 43 mph. Still, faster than I've ever gone on two wheels.

This is just as well, as I understand that you have a fear of speed. :bike:

Speed trapping ability ? Your top speed is saved on the GPS ,if so where and how is it viewed ? I have a BMW NAV5 GPS.

Just push the "speed" button in the lower right of the screen. Brings up all your trip mileage, moving average and other good stuff.