IGNORED

Repair manual suggestions

2manybikes

I ordered a Haynes repair manual for my 12 R1200GS, because I could not find a Clymer manual. The manual could have been half as thick, and cost half of what I paid, if they had just left out the worthless photos. I feel sure, that hidden in the dark and murky smudges, is a wealth of information that someone like me would find quite useful. They might be good for a Rorschach test, but all they make me see is RED. (OK, off my soap box, but still stoked!) Does anyone have any suggestions?

I ordered a Haynes repair manual for my 12 R1200GS, because I could not find a Clymer manual. The manual could have been half as thick, and cost half of what I paid, if they had just left out the worthless photos. I feel sure, that hidden in the dark and murky smudges, is a wealth of information that someone like me would find quite useful. They might be good for a Rorschach test, but all they make me see is RED. (OK, off my soap box, but still stoked!) Does anyone have any suggestions?

Morning 2manybikes

Personally I like the BMW RSD (Repair & service Data) for repair & service functions & the BMW SLP for wiring diagrams. Or RepRoms for older BMW's with again the SLP for wire diagrams.

The only problem with the BMW RSD or RepRom is that is tailored towards experienced technicians that have some basic BMW background & training so it assumes some of the basics, lacks some common knowledge basics, & does assume that the reader has the BMW specific special tools. (it does have great torque specs & where to apply heat, grease, & locking compounds).

For the home machanic having BOTH the Haynes or Clymer PLUS the BMW RepRom or RSD manual gives you the precision of the BMW manuals with the added helpful hints in the Haynes or Clymer manuals.

Thanks for your replies! Never heard of JVB Productions TEWKS, thanks for the link. Ikraus and dirtrider, thanks for your input as well. My reading thus far does not give much credit to the cost/vs value equation for the BMW DVD. Interesting you both suggested it. Guess I need to do a bit more reading!

Thanks for your replies! Never heard of JVB Productions TEWKS, thanks for the link. Ikraus and dirtrider, thanks for your input as well. My reading thus far does not give much credit to the cost/revs value equation for the BMW DVD. Interesting you both suggested it. Guess I need to do a bit more ading!

Morning 2manybikes

It sort of boils down to what you want to do & how precise you want your data.

For minor repairs or oil change type things then about anything will work.

For more involved repairs you can get by with actually nothing more than the internet but having a proper BMW repair manual is the best (most precise) for involved repairs & dealer duplication services.

• 1 month later...

Actually, your best bet is to be a member of your local BMW club.

Someone there will have btdt and might be eager to help.

You might be surprised how many BMW clubs have engineer members--that's a big deal.

Special tools ...