IGNORED

2017 R1200RT

Gringo1450

I am getting ready to join the BMW club and would like some advice form the forum.

I am going to purchase a new R1200RT after much research and riding a 2016 yesterday.

What I need help with is should I wait for the 2017. It seems they have made some changes:

Like the R 1200 GS Adventure, all liquid-cooled boxer models will now be fitted with a judder damper on the transmission output shaft. New features also include a revised selector drum actuator, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing.

After riding the 2016 the shifting seem fine to me but I’m coming off a Harley. I also need to think about resale value in case I decide to go to some other bike in the future.

Right now I can save $1,500 on the 2016 and ride next week. But I have a spare bike to get me through the season.

So will these new transmission parts really make a difference as well as they are adding banking-optimised ABS Pro and the dynamic brake light.

There has been a lot of talk on the ABS and I think I have a good handle on that. I need to know how the 2017 with possibly better shifting and the Color Carbon Black would influence resale value.

Please let me know your thoughts

I doubt there will be a large enough real world difference in the 2017 to make it a "must have". No one knows exactly what the judder damper is, My suspicion is that it will help the neutral to first gear selection clunk when stopped and ready to take off. While that would make it nicer, it won't really change the bike enough to matter. The other stuff is welcome, but honestly even the 2016 has technology that you will take a while to learn and appreciate. Resale means the 2017 is probably going to be the same cost somewhere down the road. Do you want to wait or ride?

Absolutely agree with Terry. Not enough new things on the '17 for it to be a must have. You can probably do a bit better than $1500 off a '16, unless it's the last one available in your region.

10 years down the road that '16 and '17 with similar mileage will be worth the same in resale. BUT, if you're already thinking resale even before you buy, then you sound a bit fickle and you don't think you'll keep the bike that long. In that case, buy the '16 and keep two grand or more in your bank account and ride on until some other shiny new thing catches your eye.

Many dealers are dealing on 2016s. The factory promotions are hard to pass up. Plus at .9% BMW is almost paying you to borrow their money. Take another $400 off if you're a BMWCCA member. Unless you just have to have a 2017 paint color, pocket the 2016 savings or spend it on the spouse - or on farkles...

What I need help with is should I wait for the 2017. It seems they have made some changes:

Like the R 1200 GS Adventure, all liquid-cooled boxer models will now be fitted with a judder damper on the transmission output shaft. New features also include a revised selector drum actuator, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing.

Afternoon Gringo1450

That depends on-- (IF) you want a sort of proven current system or you want to be a 2017 Beta tester. Someone has to test the new parts under real customer riding conditions once they reach public hands.

Many dealers are dealing on 2016s. The factory promotions are hard to pass up. Plus at .9% BMW is almost paying you to borrow their money. Take another $400 off if you're a BMWCCA member. Unless you just have to have a 2017 paint color, pocket the 2016 savings or spend it on the spouse - or on farkles...

I think I will like the Carbon Metallic better than the ebony metallic but it is impossible to tell from just pictures.

They are telling me $22,500 Loaded with GPS OTD and $23,950 for the same in 2017 and included first service for free

I test rode a new 2016 R1200Rt and found the gearbox clunky in gears 1,2 and sometimes 3. Coming from a Honda I thought the box was a bit agricultural and took it back to the dealer (Chester UK) to ask what I was doing wrong! He said something about the gears being "cut" differently but I did not really follow his logic. He suggested riding it in rain mode to soften all the settings... Maybe it just needed a few miles on it to loosen up but I my 2006 R1200Rt has a much sweeter gearbox.

Maybe the 2017 improvements are worth it. If it were me I would be patient and try out the new bike! Nothing nicer than a sweet gearbox on a bike!

It's my understanding that the judder damper, etc., is already installed on the 2016 GSA, but is new to the '17 GS, RT and other wetheads. Otherwise the transmissions are identical except for gear ratios. What this means is that you might compare the 2016 GSA with the '16 GS or even '16 RT, as the GSA has the damper and the others don't (yet).

My guess is that the test will be inconclusive - they all shift about the same.

I think I will like the Carbon Metallic better than the ebony metallic but it is impossible to tell from just pictures.

They are telling me $22,500 Loaded with GPS OTD and $23,950 for the same in 2017 and included first service for free

Tough call because those are significant parts that are being added, whereas w/ the '16 it's really a done deal, well tested, every early problem solved, etc. My '16 has been flawless, now w/ 12,500miles OTC. If cost is a consideration which it appears it is at least a little, you could do what I did and custom order your '17 RT. You can save quite a bit just by eliminating parts you can do without. I didn't want anything to do w/ the audio package as I use SENA headset and iPhone for music, and NAV V for GPS. I also absolutely did not want keyless ignition, nor central locking, and the chrome muffler I just have a hard time w/ it, so have the brushed stainless which was less $$ and looks way better to me. So my '16 RT came in my preferred color, w/ Dynamic ESA & the Dynamic Package, Ride Modes Pro, the halo LEDs, TPM, Hill Start. There was a $1000 incentive towards BMW accessories so I bought Nav V, BMW cylinder head protectors and side case protectors. I saved quite a bit doing it this way. The only feature that might have been worth the extra cost is Shift Assist Pro. I'm ambivalent about it because I don't think I really need the feature, and can upshift smoothly w/o the clutch but I mainly do that w/ 4-5-6 gears, and only if I'm just being a bit lazy--shifts totally smoothly w/o the clutch pull, but I know that is quite different from what Shift Assist offers. But I don't do jackrabbit starts unless I really need to which is almost never, and that can be done quick shifting as needed. I I can add it now for about $500, but I'm holding off as I don't think it is something I would use much.

Edited by NoelCP

Hey, Gringo...welcome on board.

The replies above may help, they may not. There is no, real, factual answer to the question you pose. The opinions however are good and as usual here- honest.

I have a minor point. The 17's are on the horizon and from what I can see the 17's are a continuation of the Wet Head breed. Some small improvements but the big issue is that the lineup of bikes and especially RT's is continuing along the same line.

Let me say that another way. The RT family, starting with the 14's and looks like into the 17's are all built on essentially the same model. This means you are not facing into a greatly different 2017. No way to know what the future models will offer, but it seems clear that the 17's continue the family without drastic changes.

So what? To me it suggests that waiting for a 17 may not pay off in some great advancement. I vote for ride now and enjoy it. In 5 years a '17 will not be much different from a '16... or for that matter the '14/15's either.

I vote for ride now...

and one more thing... where are you? Your location would be helpful in many ways. If you live where you can ride basically year-round... is one thing, but if you were looking into the face of a Winter Lay-up... that is another.

Welcome on board.

Edited by hopz

I am generally a bleeding edge guy, one who prefers the latest and greatest. However, as the owner of a 2014, I really haven't experienced anything with respect to the transmission that I found problematic. It's conceivable that the upgrades may make it a smoother, easier shifting transmission, but I'd also be a little concerned about BMW's relatively recent history of building drivelines that are susceptible to catastrophic failure.

So far the wetheads have proven to be extremely reliable, and I'd honestly be a little nervous about being an early adopter of these upgrades. Getting to your question of the effect on value, I'd guess that the 2014-2016 RTs will continue to depreciate at the normal rate and that their value will not be diminished by the updated technology. Of course, this is a question always faced by purchasers at this time of year--is the deal I'm being offered on the outgoing model sufficient to make up for the fact that it will soon be a year-old model? My gut feeling is that the $1,500 discount is a deal that you should take. However, if having the latest and greatest is important to you, or if you're really digging the idea of a carbon black bike, I'd wait; our connection to our motorcycles is generally a pretty emotional thing, and there's a good argument to be made for getting exactly what you want if the cost is reasonably close.

I was half-expecting a facelift for 2017, which is about due for the RT. If that had happened it would be a different story. Line up four RTs '14-'17 and other than color you can't tell any difference. The summer '16 deal was great for me and I'm riding!

Thanks for the welcome and answers.

I am looking at winter here in Michigan around the corner and have something to ride already.

Still working the deal and I think I can get close to $1,000 difference in price with insurance savings and ordering it exactly how I want, will make the decision easy.

I will keep you guys up to date and maybe I will have some good pictures of one of the first 2017's in Carbon Black

Gringo

My 2015 seems still feels fresh with 9600 miles on the odo, some things Ive noticed with shifting are: 1-2 can be smooth as silk, either by shifting early (Less torque) or at high rpm. All my other gears have smoothed out with more mileage. 2-3, likes more torque for smoothness , so I roll fairly hard on the throttle and it shifts like butter. 3-4 , 4-5, 5-6 seem seamless and regardless of torque or rpm, they go smooth up or down.

At first , I was slightly disappointed with this strange shift language , but with miles and familiarity , I know whats expected of me to get the best out of the bike, Its a learning curve that requires patients and willingness to try some new techniques. Its great once you figure it all out.

My 2015 seems still feels fresh with 9600 miles on the odo, some things Ive noticed with shifting are: 1-2 can be smooth as silk, either by shifting early (Less torque) or at high rpm. All my other gears have smoothed out with more mileage. 2-3, likes more torque for smoothness , so I roll fairly hard on the throttle and it shifts like butter. 3-4 , 4-5, 5-6 seem seamless and regardless of torque or rpm, they go smooth up or down.

At first , I was slightly disappointed with this strange shift language , but with miles and familiarity , I know whats expected of me to get the best out of the bike, Its a learning curve that requires patients and willingness to try some new techniques. Its great once you figure it all out.

I have to agree with everything you said. My 2015 RT is same as yours. Just turned 9000 mi today. Couldnt be happier

My 2015 R has 8000 km (about 5000 mi) on it now after 6 months. I find with a little bit of care all the shifts are smooth. Using the assisted shift with the bike doing the clutch work can also be smooth but not in all situations. Upshifts while accelerating are quite smooth with the assisted shift. However, shifting up a gear at constant speed, just to drop the revs, is not so smooth with the assisted shift.

My 2015 seems still feels fresh with 9600 miles on the odo

I would hope so, you haven't even finished breaking it in yet!!! :lurk: Let us know how it feels when you get to 100,000 miles. :wave:

I was half-expecting a facelift for 2017, which is about due for the RT.

What!!!

I like BMWs because they do not change / facelift every couple of years, call it timeless style or whatever.

3 years and a facelift? Only if you got it really wrong the first time. :grin:

Maybe BMW's camhead's 4-year style between facelifts is indeed timeless - I was just hoping the wethead might be a 3-year timeless style. :)

Maybe BMW's camhead's 4-year style between facelifts is indeed timeless - I was just hoping the wethead might be a 3-year timeless style. :)

Never take what I say seriously, I am still hankering after a 3 cylinder K90RT!!

The K75/K100s now there was a design that lasted and you could change them from RT to RS or naked with easy, none of this bespoke bits just swap the fairing!

Unless that dealer is saying that BMW is cutting production way back from what was produced the past several years, that's not news. Unless it's a first year much in demand model, every bike is a limited production to what the manufacturer thinks demand will be.

Find another dealer.

That is kinda what I was doing I was on a business trip to Birmingham and stopped in at the local dealer just to try and get information on pricing, delivery and anything else he would tell me.Plus the had they full line of Ducati and Indians to look at.

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen any 2017 RTs at the 4 local dealers that I visit and watch on-line here in Ohio..

Nor at Grand Rapids BMW or Countryside.

There are however many leftover 2016s. RTs and GSs, not to mention 700s, 800s, RRs and K16s.

More bikes than buyers right now.

I'd assume that 2017 RTs are being produced... they're probably not in much of a hurry to ship them out to dealers but will have to eventually.

Last year there were no 2015 leftovers around at the local dealers I checked with by this time (mid-October). Most had a few (two-three tops) 2016's already, with more on the way. I was at least able to snag a test ride on a 16 and place an order but had to wait until early January for delivery.

I've got a 2016 RT; have had it a year next month and it now has 13,500 miles on it. It, too has been pretty much flawless. It came pretty much loaded except for keyless starting, etc. and I would rather not have that. The tranny is clunky in lower gear up shifts, with or without the shift assist and silky smooth in the upper gears going up or down. I short shift it, too, to smooth the 1st to 2nd up shifts and rarely downshift to 1st, using the torquey engine to good advantage. To me it's a small thing; wish it was smoother like my '11 RT, but not a big issue. I am a bit disappointed in the quality of the fairing panels and their attachment-pretty cheap and failures resulting attest to it. If BMW would want to make some incremental changes, those two areas could benefit. Other than that it's a real great bike and handles beautifully, better than my '11 which had Ohlins front and back. And all the gadgets seem to work well, too.

If it were me I would get a '16 and save some money.

Larry

Larry,

As you probably know, there were some changes made to the transmission for 2017. All WC received the updates,,GS,RT GSA.

Real hard parts, not a software update, I haven't really seen any detailed review of the rejiggered tranny yet.

I was disappointed in the transmissions of my departed '14 RT and likewise my '15 GS. As you wrote, annoyingly clunky in the lower gears, many bikes are, I was just hoping for better. Heading to Maryland this Sunday to pick up a "new to me" 2013 RT with 5,500 miles.

The Camhead transmissions aren't perfect either, but overall, I like them better than the WC.

Next year, I'll be anxious to ride a demo 2017 WC and see for myself.