IGNORED

Carrying U-Lock

axabmw

Where do you guys carry your U-Lock?

I've had problems on other bikes with the lock (A large ABUS U-lock) wrecking the inside of the pannier.

You can wrap it in a bag or a cloth.

I don't carry a U-Lock

I prefer a disc lock. They are harder to remove and it fits in the small "Glove" Compartment. (Mine even has a carrying pouch)

I've read articles that mentions how the U-Lock can be removed in less than a minutes using a tire iron.

YMMV

Edited by Dann
Where do you guys carry your U-Lock?

I've had problems on other bikes with the lock (A large ABUS U-lock) wrecking the inside of the pannier.

No recent experiences, but I used to carry mine in my tank bag. A few years ago--after the Kryptonite U-locks were exposed as offering little protection--I switched to an ABUS disk lock. It's very compact and the one that I have has a frame mount. It's pretty unobtrusive.

I tend to forget disc locks.The Abus is approved by FFMC (the French motorcycle rights group who started their own insurance company. Of which one requirement was using an approved lock. They test them themselves because it's in their interests to do so.

There used to be a bracket that went behind the license plate.

• 2 months later...
I tend to forget disc locks.The Abus is approved by FFMC (the French motorcycle rights group who started their own insurance company. Of which one requirement was using an approved lock. They test them themselves because it's in their interests to do so.

There used to be a bracket that went behind the license plate.

Remove-Before-Flight.jpg

This helps remind you.

You best program your mind, put up stickers, the works ... if you use a disk lock. My friend forgot to remove his and ended up with more that 1500 in damage.

Ride Safe.

Bob

I have traveled all of the Western States and Canada several times. I have never locked my Motorcycle however I try to park next to a Harley, than I know I am safe. The Bad Guys do not steal BMW Motorcycles .... :grin:

Edited by Norm 81

Yep.

Carry a cable lock w/Abus for securing jackets/pants/helmets (for both of us) in some areas.

When I did carry a bike cover years ago, the cable was used to secure the cover over the bike.

Too much fuss.

I have used them when a bike was on a trailer just to have something to check.