IGNORED

Locked or Unlocked Throttle Actuators during Throttle Body Sync.??

Michael B

This topic may be a bit in the weeds, but fair wrenchers, I need an answer!

Yesterday I did a full 12K maintenance on my '11 RT. And for the first time I attempted a Throttle Body Sync and used a GS-911. Before doing the Sync I performed an Idle Actuator Calibration. I then chose Engine Synchronization and locked the Throttle Actuators. I attached the hoses of a Twin Max, calibrated Zero, and with the engine at normal operating temperature started the bike. With the Sensitivity knob at Min the reading was a dead Zero at idle and at 3,500 rpm's. The Twin Max stayed on Zero even when turning the Sensitivity almost to Max...only moving to right 1 with full Max, so I saw no reason to adjust anything.

I thought the Throttle Actuators needed to be Unlocked but the GS-911 gave me no screens to do so. I even restarted the Engine Synchronization program section again and it said to "Lock Throttle Actuators" so I took that to mean my bike's Actuators had to be Unlocked in order for them to be "Locked" again.

So my questions: Did the GS-911 automatically Unlock the Actuators, or did the bike automatically Unlock them after the Sync? Did the Actuators Unlock as the engine cooled? Are the Actuators still Locked, and if so where in the GS-911 program do I go back and Unlock them? I certainly do not want to ride the bike with Locked Actuators and do permanent damage to the engine.

Thanks much for any wisdom on this subject from you wrenchers who really know what the heck you are doing! DR?? Cheers!

This topic may be a bit in the weeds, but fair wrenchers, I need an answer!

Yesterday I did a full 12K maintenance on my '11 RT. And for the first time I attempted a Throttle Body Sync and used a GS-911. Before doing the Sync I performed an Idle Actuator Calibration. I then chose Engine Synchronization and locked the Throttle Actuators. I attached the hoses of a Twin Max, calibrated Zero, and with the engine at normal operating temperature started the bike. With the Sensitivity knob at Min the reading was a dead Zero at idle and at 3,500 rpm's. The Twin Max stayed on Zero even when turning the Sensitivity almost to Max...only moving to right 1 with full Max, so I saw no reason to adjust anything.

I thought the Throttle Actuators needed to be Unlocked but the GS-911 gave me no screens to do so. I even restarted the Engine Synchronization program section again and it said to "Lock Throttle Actuators" so I took that to mean my bike's Actuators had to be Unlocked in order for them to be "Locked" again.

So my questions: Did the GS-911 automatically Unlock the Actuators, or did the bike automatically Unlock them after the Sync? Did the Actuators Unlock as the engine cooled? Are the Actuators still Locked, and if so where in the GS-911 program do I go back and Unlock them? I certainly do not want to ride the bike with Locked Actuators and do permanent damage to the engine.

Thanks much for any wisdom on this subject from you wrenchers who really know what the heck you are doing! DR?? Cheers!

Afternoon Michael B

It isn't a big deal as the actuators (steppers) automatically re-set & re-sync at every fresh key-on. If you listen (carefully) to the steppers when you first turn the key on you will hear them run the pintle in to seat (that finds home & sets 0) then they will back the pintles out the required number of steps for the engine start sequence.

Archived