IGNORED

Ilium Works Hwy Pegs worth it?

APDDave

I am looking at the Ilium Works crash bar and foot rest combo for my 2015 RT. I was wondering if anyone who has put these on their new RT could provide me some feedback as to if they were worth it or not. I am going on a two week trip and would like to have another foot rest position to change to from time to time. In looking at this setup I was wondering if it might be to far forward and outward to really be comfortable on the highway. It is a lot of money to spend only to find out that it is really not that comfortable. Any feedback would be great.

I have them on my 15 RT and they are definitely worth it IMHO. Sometimes all's it take is a couple minutes with my legs stretched to get some relief. Other times I'll ride with one or both feet up for a half hour at a time. They would be a necessity for me if I were to purchase another RT.

I have a 31 inseam if that helps

I have them. They're very well made, but with my 30" inseam I find myself in the same King James birthing position with my feet splayed out on the bars. Honestly it's good for 2-3 minutes, after which point it becomes tiresome because your lower back bends into a "C" position, like sitting on a cruiser with forward controls. The pegs themselves are great, but the RT doesn't lend itself to such a position due to how far your legs have to spread to straddle the bike. That's just me - YMMV.

-MKL

Dave Stephens

I have the Illium engine guard bars with the Illium foot rest pegs on my 2015 RT and am quite happy with them. I appreciate them more now that I installed a Sargent backrest to go with my Sargent seats.

I have always liked hiway pegs, and had the elf pegs on my 2005 RT with a Rick Mayer seat. Really liked the elf hiway pegs. I have had the 2014 RT since they first came out and thought about getting crash bars with hiway pegs. But I got a Russell seat first and after a 3,300 mile trip over 10 days was glad I got the seat first, a better investment in comfort for me. I still straighten my legs, stand up and otherwise adjust the leg position on occasion, including using the passenger footpegs, but since my butt doesn't hurt I am thinking I don't need to add crash bars just to get hiway pegs.

Doug_Baliko

I have them on my 2012. It gives me another place to put my feet on long travel days when I'm doing a lot of miles and looking for a different seating position for a while. They are very well made, and I like the fact that the foot pads rotate.

Doug

I have them on my '14 with the engine guards. I'm 5'8" (on a good day) and wish I saved my money. I use them for a few minutes each ride but I do better by putting my feet on the passenger pegs.

I've tried highway pegs in the past and agree with previous posters...the splayed out feeling and pressure on my tailbone just aren't worth it. Instead, I just stand up on the pegs for a few minutes to stretch my legs, give the butt a little break and get the circulation going. Works wonders. I usually time this for when there isn't any traffic behind me, as I can't see the mirrors when I'm standing. If I'm on the interstate, it works great if you hit some single lane construction and the traffic has slowed.

Gary Schmidt

I have them on my '16 RT. Along with my Russel Day Long with back rest I can ride all day with no discomfort. I really like to put my feet up on the pegs and push back a bit on the back rest. I'm 6' 2" and that helps make this a very comfortable position. They are expensive though!

I liked mine especially stretching one leg at the time and being able to rotate my foot/ankle. Like other posters, both legs out at the same time is not comfy.

Do take a small can of wd40 with you as the little ball detent will freeze up with grime on a long trip and the pegs won't close.

I think highway pegs are good in conjunction with a back rest. I ride some pretty good stretches on the interstate with feet on the highway pegs. Probably wouldn't be able to without being able to press into the backrest.

I have them on my '14 RT and like them. They are adjustable in multiple ways (up and down on the bar, rotate along plane parallel to the ground, rotate within ball and socket). I'm short and still found it easy to set them up for me. There are lower cost alternatives that mount to crash bars, and I had a set of those, but the Ilium Works pegs are a very nicely engineered solution.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems kind of 50/50 like or not. I went for a ride the other day and tried to put my feet out in the general area where they would be if I had the highway pegs installed. It did seem a little odd and would probably be better used with some sort of back rest. I also did feel a pretty good bit of heat from the engine on my boots and calves out there. Still thinking about spending the money.

I put them on my 15 RT and really like them. I have a backrest which helps my posture when I put my feet on the pegs. They are expensive but they are well built and to me worth it.

I have them. They're very well made, but with my 30" inseam I find myself in the same King James birthing position with my feet splayed out on the bars. Honestly it's good for 2-3 minutes, after which point it becomes tiresome because your lower back bends into a "C" position, like sitting on a cruiser with forward controls. The pegs themselves are great, but the RT doesn't lend itself to such a position due to how far your legs have to spread to straddle the bike. That's just me - YMMV.

-MKL

The current RT does not give us the same forward and back adjustments you had with Ilium pegs on other R models. The pegs are more forward and pretty far apart due to the flat twin design. I too find I can't ride as long with my feet on the pegs as I can on the K1600 that has a narrower profile and Ilium allows you to move the pegs forward or back. This is not an Ilium limitation, any of the highway pegs will have this limitation on this bike.

For me it is still well worth it. Ilium pegs don't twist in use as others do and stretching out the legs is a great way to extend comfort. Standing on the pegs helps a lot too but I'd be hard pressed to give up the highway pegs even if I only use them for a few minutes at a time.

Archived