IGNORED

Leaking oil filler cap

onenun

My local dealer sold me two Orings to fix the leaking around my filler cap. I put one around the cap and I assume the other one goes under the plastic retainer on the head .My question is; How do I remove that plastic part without destroying it?

Gary

'98RT

thumbsup.gif Piece of cake -- I have done it a couple of times and it's getting easier each time I do it. Take a couple of small flat-blade screwdrivers (the kind the tool dealers give out for free that will clip on your shirt pocket work best because they are thin) and just lever that sucker out. Using two will give you more leverage than only one, I use one on each side of it and pry it right out. Remove the old o-ring and slip on a new "oiled" o-ring and then push it back in, it simply pops back into place and will stop the oily boot drool at speed!

PS I have also tried other o-rings (not from BMW) and had zero luck with them!

BMW sells you a wonderful motorcycle with a plastic cheap leaky oil filler cap.

I bought the one from Wunderlich that should have came with the bike in the first place.

Jim VonBaden
BMW sells you a wonderful motorcycle with a plastic cheap leaky oil filler cap.

I bought the one from Wunderlich that should have came with the bike in the first place.

You should have said:

You would think for the cost of a premium BMW motorcycle, they wouldn't have supplied a plastic cheap leaky oil filler cap.
grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

Archived