IGNORED

Passenger overheated

KeithK

Just traded my beloved '06 1200RT for a'16 RT & love it for the most part except for missing my Russell day long. Gotta get one for this bike ASAP. The one BIG negative is excess heat on the passenger's legs from the radiator outlets. I was very worried about heat issues since my hex head never put any heat on me to speak of so I took a very long test ride & was satisfied. The lowers divert the heat exiting the radiators around me pretty well but then it wraps back around & right onto the passenger. I am surprised I haven't read many (if any) posts on it. I can put my hand behind my calf & feel tons of heat wrapping around behind my leg. Almost a deal breaker for my wife at least in the summer.

Never had a complaint on the hex head or previous oil head. Someone needs to make a diverter to put on the radiator exit area. Anyone had similar thoughts or experiences?

Keith

My wife's always cold; maybe that's why she likes riding pillion on my RTW! :grin:

This is the first report of this sort I've heard, but it's possible I've just missed others' comments.

I don't think it would bother people that came off a FJR or ST 1300 but coming off a hex head or oil head which are bikes that put less engine heat than most it is a noticeable change. Not just my wife,if I drop my hand behind /beside my calf it is mucho hot. Bear in mind this is in 95+ heat but none of that problem on hex/oil heads. I get very little of the radiator output unless I splay my legs out but she gets a ton. More on the left as I understand coolant goes thru it first so it is a bit lower temp when it reaches the right radiator. Bags on or off make no diff. Some type of deflector wing is what I was thinking.

Oh well,everything's a trade off. 😟

I definitely get a lot of heat on my shins on the Wethead -- at steady speed there's a constant hot blast. When stopped at a light it cooks my forearms as it wafts up from the big ports. Never had heat issues on my Hexhead or Oilhead. Maybe I won't mind it in the winter?

I just put in a 800+ mile ride in one day on my way home from the UN in 90 to 102 temps and didn't have any heat issue. I've had two other hex heads and don't notice any difference.

GT

This is my first BMW but also own Harley (HOT), FJR and some dual sports. Mt RT is cooler that my FJR was for what ever thats worth

Yeah,it's not bad compared to those bikes,it's just that previous RT's put virtually NO heat on the rider or passenger. Quite a difference!

My Harley puts out tons of heat all over but the wetheads put a concentrated blast right on the passengers shins. I can put my hand down there & it is undisputed. I'm sure at 80 & below ambient it won't be an issue. Not nearly as good a hot weather bike as the older RT.

I can feel the heat on my legs from the radiator outlet if I don't keep my knees and feet tucked in a bit. Maybe I am just used to that position. My wife has never said a thing about the heat, but I will put my hand down there next time and see.

As for other RT's my '04 Oilhead had no heat on my legs. I agree completely. But it was much hotter to ride overall. The heat coming off the oil cooler came straight up around the handlebar area right onto the rider. I didn't complain about that, but the Wethead is cooler in that respect.

I know the RTs are the most popular so this comment won't help them any, but I wanted to point out that this issue, perhaps obviously, doesn't affect the naked bikes. On the R1200R wet head, the radiator heat vents straight out of the radiator and doesn't get back even to the rider, much less the pillion. There is still some warmth on your feet from the cylinders but it seems less than on the oil heads or air heads.

Went for a nice 100+ mile ride today on my 15 RT and asked my wife if she felt any heat. She said not at all. I put my hand down on both sides of bike while cruising home on highway. It was 91 degrees out on way home. I felt nothing at all. The only heat I feel is in the tips of my boots from the cylinders which I really don't notice till I put my feet up on highway pegs and feel a slight cooling effect. Really don't know what heat you speak of although I'm sure you feel it. Strange

Took mine out yesterday and I was trying to duplicate the OP's issue. I could detect some added heat around the pillion's lower calf area, but it didn't seem excessive. However, the ambient temperature was around 80-82°, quite a bit lower than the mid-90s, at which his wife is getting toasted.

My RT is a 2014, though I'm not aware of any design changes that would affect this issue.

Guess we'll just have to live with it,probably be nice in cooler weather. I would be first in line if someone makes aftermarket deflectors to go on the radiator outlet area if they could be made to look ok.

Rode in 88F or so yesterday, one up no luggage. No hard running or stop/go. Pulled up to the first traffic light after a half hour ride and whrrrrrrrrr on comes the fan on the right radiator. Temp gauge was up about 3/4. It seems that even with two radiators this bike must run hotter than my hexhead or camhead or oilhead or airhead ever did. Not complaining but I guess that's technical progress? Love the bike, it just takes some getting used to. Maybe the fan will never come on in the winter?

Fan coming on does not mean the engine is running hotter than previous Boxers. Just means the cooling system is doing its job of keeping certain components in a certain temperature range. I have had my fan stay on for quite a while in stop and go traffic with ambient temperature gauge reading over 100 degrees. Coolant temperature gauge only had two bars left on a couple occasions. But, it done its job. My Oilhead would have had the temperature gauge where I would NOT have been comfortable with it in the same conditions. I can say that at low speeds with the fan on you don't want your leg hanging out where that hot air is expelled from the radiator!

Just traded my beloved '06 1200RT for a'16 RT & love it for the most part except for missing my Russell day long. Gotta get one for this bike ASAP. The one BIG negative is excess heat on the passenger's legs from the radiator outlets. I was very worried about heat issues since my hex head never put any heat on me to speak of so I took a very long test ride & was satisfied. The lowers divert the heat exiting the radiators around me pretty well but then it wraps back around & right onto the passenger. I am surprised I haven't read many (if any) posts on it. I can put my hand behind my calf & feel tons of heat wrapping around behind my leg. Almost a deal breaker for my wife at least in the summer.

Never had a complaint on the hex head or previous oil head. Someone needs to make a diverter to put on the radiator exit area. Anyone had similar thoughts or experiences?

Keith

Just wondering if it is what you are wearing pants wise...... My wife and I feel no heat, even in the AZ summers. We both have Olympia Air Glide pants and jackets.

Just to clarify,I don't feel excess heat as the fairing lowers behind the cylinders route the radiator exit air around me. At highway speeds in 90+ temps drop your left hand down outside your calf & feel the stream of very hot air exiting the (especially left) radiator.

Not a problem for the rider unless you splay your legs out wide. That hot stream of air was not present on a oil/hex head.

I am amazed that the wethead has been out since 2014 and no one ever reported the excess heat on the passenger,until the other day....I wonder,do you owners only ride one up or in cold weather? I ride,two up 99% of the time with my wife and we live in the high desert of L.A. County.....I have been considering replacing my 2005 with one,until now.If BMW doesn't know of a heat issue,they obviously can't address it.I am bummed.

Steve

Instead of being bummed, just take a test ride and see if heat is really a problem for you and your wife. Of the thousands of RTWs that have been sold, so far we have a total of two reports of hot calves, and many other posts reporting no noticeable problem.

Instead of being bummed, just take a test ride and see if heat is really a problem for you and your wife. Of the thousands of RTWs that have been sold, so far we have a total of two reports of hot calves, and many other posts reporting no noticeable problem.

Yep. I'd have to agree. I don't doubt the two reports, but these are the first I've heard of this. In instances where there's a widespread issue, it becomes pretty apparent here very quickly. As an admin, I may not see every post, but I see most of them.

Many of our members live and ride in hot climates, two-up. Even here in the upper Midwest, we get a lot of heat . . . and it's not a dry heat. Absolute temperatures are often in the 90s, with heat index readings above 100°. The fact that most of us have expressed a bit of surprise is, is guess, because we haven't had the same experiences.

Nonetheless, there can be variations from bike to bike. It's possible that the riding posture, apparel, or expectations of the OP are simply different than others. The good news is that BMW dealers are pretty generous with test rides. A few miles on an RT should help you decide whether it's a problem for you, or if it isn't.

I'd hate to see anyone pass up such a tremendous motorcycle based simply on the online report of two riders, when it hasn't proven to be an issue for most. You may have similar impressions, but if you find there's no heat problem for you, you'll get a kick out of the RT.

I am going to add something that is being overlooked in the "heat" debate.

Riding gear. My Motoport gear is all mess to the top of my foot. I noticed heat on my legs from my then new V strom and complained about it. About a year ago I was riding in my Olympia Airglide overpants. Realized I was not feeling the heat. They have a small mesh panel below the knees, the rest is solid Cordura. Point is that the type of gear is going to make a real difference, maybe all the difference.

Interesting as I have no heat issue on my wee strom,go figure.

I find it hard to believe that anyone can take their ungloved hand and rest it

palm open to the front and fail to feel the blast of super hot air in 95 degree temps.

Most pronounced on the left by a lot. But if not noticeable then I am happy for anyone that

doesn't have the issue.

Keith

To the OP:

Apparently I'm one of those only "two" owners out of "thousands of bikes sold" who have commented on heat but I am not bummed about the bike. Although my previous 4 RT's never emitted noticeable engine heat, this is by far the best overall RT of them all despite the heat.

The wethead has two enormous heat exhaust ports for its two radiators forward of the rider's legs, with a supplemental exhaust fan that only comes on when it needs to blast out HOT air. That's undeniable. To some it's an "issue" and not to others.

I don't ride nekkid with my legs flailing out over the ports -- I ride with mesh pants over jeans and my knees gently gripping the tank. I feel engine heat that was not present on my previous 4 RTs. It's nowhere near a deal-breaker for me, just noticeable and sometimes annoying. Just saying.

For sure it's not a deal breaker for me,as I've repeated several times it is a NON ISSUE for the rider with your legs tucked in normally,but the heat goes on to the passengers legs quite a bit. There is NO heat from an oilhead/hex head that I (or my wife) ever noticed.

Not trying to be rude,just trying again to clarify,there is no significant heat issue for the rider.

Keith

Ride one ...you won't be disappointed. It's a great bike and if heat is an issue for you perhaps you should look for something else. I have had two hex heads and I don't notice any difference.

GT

Ride one ...you won't be disappointed. It's a great bike and if heat is an issue for you perhaps you should look for something else. I have had two hex heads and I don't notice any difference.

GT

Right. Easy solution. Not every bike works for every person. Test rides are available, so go ride one on a hot day.

Hopefully a solution will be forthcoming for those who do have an issue.

I live in hell year round and the only place I've felt any heat was the tops of my feet and only when it's hot out and when I am not wearing boots. I had a vtwin before and that was much worse in lower temps.

I think a lot of you guys never read the original post,,,,,,,,,,nobody is complaining about heat on the driver,its the passenger that apparently catches the heat off the radiators...........and that would be my wife.If she aint happy,I won't be happy.

Steve

I think a lot of you guys never read the original post,,,,,,,,,,nobody is complaining about heat on the driver,its the passenger that apparently catches the heat off the radiators...........and that would be my wife.If she aint happy,I won't be happy.

Steve

There are two threads going. I'll merge them. This is what's been suggested:

Instead of being bummed, just take a test ride and see if heat is really a problem for you and your wife.

Incidentally, I emailed Baker Built a couple days ago, to see if they have air wings under development for the RTW. I'll let you know if I hear back.

Just FYI ,had the first cool front of the fall come thru Texas and the wife & I went for a ride late yesterday afternoon with 82 degree temp & she said no problem. She could still feel some heat but not uncomfortable at those ambient temps. I'm still going th scheme on making or adapting some kind of deflector wings. If it can be made less obtrusive than some of the stuff I've seen on Gold Wings!

My wife never complains about any heat and she is very sensitive to that kind of thing. The only thing she was complaining about was buffeting with the stock windscreen. A Werks windscreen fixed that completely.

GT

I didn't get a response to my email from Baker Built, so I called them today, to see if they make Air Wings for the Wethead RT. Unfortunately, the answer is "no." :(

Maybe there's an opportunity here for one of our industrious members . . . .

Archived