IGNORED

Who else rode MT78?

EffBee

Montana Hwy 78, leaving north out of Red Lodge headed for Absarokee. It's like Sweeper Madness had a little brother. Left, right, up, down. Then do it again and again. With speeds in the 50-80 range, not 90+ like in Utah. I only wish I had discovered it earlier, not as I was leaving.

Yipee Ki Yay!!!

Tammy and I rode 421 to Columbus and came back to Red Lodge on 78. I recommended it to a few others. Probably the nicest scenery and riding other than the Pass in the area!

I remember telling you about how you'd enjoy it on your way out... Glad you did. Great ride.

You were definitely right. If I hadn't been on a schedule to get to over the top of Yellowstone and down into Idaho, I'd have turned around and done it again. As it turned out, I had the time, but didn't know it until I got through the western edge of Yellowstone without the traffic snarl I'd anticipated.

We drove it coming in and recommended it to a couple other folks. I was told about it by a local the year before when we stayed in Red Lodge on our way to UN 14. I was most impressed by the little town at the far end from Red Lodge that had about 50 houses and we counted at least 4 churches. :grin:

Main way to get into Red Lodge or out as the case may be for us- Last year the 5 miles closest to Red Lodge was all under construction and a nightmare...Glad to see they pretty much got it completed. Its a really nice road now- glad ya enjoyed it!!

I rode it twice, really fun rode.

There are some very nice, well maintained homes and little farms along the 78 just little outside of Red Lodge. I couldn't help but dream about retiring to that area some day....

Not to hijack too much, there was another nice road that I found totally by accident during the UN trip.

Just north of the Colorado-Wyoming border, west of little town called Riverside, there is Hwy 70.

It's a scenic two-lane highway, crossing the continental divide one more time.

Sweeper after sweeper, good pavement and on the day I was there, it had absolutely no other traffic at all.

FullSizeRender%203_zps8fc0vbql.jpg

"Hey Ed," said Mikko, Gary, and Russ. "Ride with us. It will be a nice ride on paved roads with maybe a small section of gravel."

MT78 was fine, but the Little Green Kawasaki was out of it's element on the Pryor/St. Xavier Hwy (Hwy must be a local joke since it is also labeled Pryor/St. Xavier Cut Across.)

Still sorting through my pictures, but I think this is of the best section of the 15 MILE road/trail:

7146176cd0366893a111983912941fd8.jpg

I won't even bring up the illegal detour through a pasture. badidea.gif

Rode it both ways when we went to visit my friend at her brothers ranch-- loved it both ways

Al - if you were on your K1200RS I am impressed. I have had my K1200 RS on similar roads, however, rarely by choice. :grin:

szurszewski
Rode it both ways when we went to visit my friend at her brothers ranch-- loved it both ways

Al - if you were on your K1200RS I am impressed. I have had my K1200 RS on similar roads, however, rarely by choice. :grin:

I assumed he meant 78, not Pryor/St. Xavier ... though I think that pic looks like a fun road to me :)

Still sorting through my pictures, but I think this is of the best section of the 15 MILE road/trail:

Keep sorting. You still have them badly mixed up :)

Keep sorting. You still have them badly mixed up :)

You were right. I had the wrong picture. I'm pretty sure this is the one you made me traverse:

big-bike-rough-roads-bbrr.jpg

Bob, the road I was talking about was great-- not like the picture EDDDD posted

Yes - the MT-78 I rode on was smooth swipers and great scenery.

Dave (DaveCinNO) and I road up MT-78 then across I-90 down MT-89 before heading back to Red Lodge via the north rim of Yellowstone Park, to the summit overlook of Chief Joseph and back to 212, before our 5th run over the Beartooth during our 4 days at the UN. Wish this part of our great country was not so far away from DC!

Archived