Larry juggling his many responsibilities:

i-NXCZcc6.jpg

Bear Tooth and other views:

i-XRQp45F.jpg

i-Z6xMzGp.jpg

i-9cPWhzN.jpg

i-KJWGsbk.jpg

i-fxjC6gZ.jpg

Thanks to all who take the time to post pics.

It is great to see so many familiar faces.

Really hated to miss this one. :cry:

From UnRally-II in Eureka Springs, AR in 2003:

EndOfUnRally-II-L.jpg

Recap at UnRally-XV in Red Lodge, MT in 2016:

20160726_214616-L.jpg

Unfortunately, Sock Monkey could not get a hall pass to come on this ride with us. ;-)

Here are a few from my travels with Joel and Alan.

i-KpbQ6JS-L.jpg

i-4VkcGPQ-L.jpg

i-G5hgNVm-L.jpg

i-3LG4zx8-L.jpg

i-5dv6j4h-L.jpg

i-wM8cH38-L.jpg

i-j57cLTq-L.jpg

i-kSjKKXm-L.jpg

i-LmPW29j-L.jpg

i-pr9ZGhh-L.jpg

i-cdr5NSr-L.jpg

i-JnbT3Z8-L.jpg

i-ZLxWgTF-L.jpg

i-JXF4m4n-L.jpg

i-tZdhTwT-L.jpg

i-nZp6Kdn-L.jpg

i-p5nSq8t-L.jpg

i-ShsGv4g-L.jpg

i-J94sVDC-L.jpg

i-pz9phGj-L.jpg

May not be the photo you expected! Western Slope Cutthroat Trout. Caught in Rock Creek behind the resort. Caught a couple of these, many more got off before I landed them. While they may not be trophies to some, don't let the small size fool you. Quite a challenge to catch these, similar to a native Brook Trout back East.

20160728_144503_resized_zps8ki91rcy.jpg

**   Chris   **

As usual I am terrible about stopping and taking pictures.

All of these pictures were taken with my phone because my cameras were at home!

Here is a link to my Smugmug Gallery. Hopefully Randy will add some better pictures.

Pictures

Thanks everyone. That is my favorite part of the country. Disappointed that I couldn't put it together to get out there for the UN, but it just wasn't in the cards this year. The pics look great.....and still do it no justice

...The pics look great.....and still do it no justice

One of the things you can't capture with a photograph is smell. When I go on a long ride out west, after a few days my sinuses clear out, and I can smell things with new intensity. Hay, sagebrush, manure, whatever. For me, the high plains in Wyoming are among the best smelling places in the country. Different types of hay have different smells, and the sagebrush was almost intoxicating in places.

**   Chris   **
Awesome pics, as usual, Ken.

Especially the last two of the lake. I rode past one of the little lakes on Bear Tooth and the water was flat and crystal clear. I decided I would just stop on the way back. By then the wind had picked up and the picture was gone.

**   Chris   **
Nothing terrible about those pics Chris.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

MB>

I just meant I am terrible about stopping. Randy and I followed Al through Mexican Hat and Monument Valley one time and we never stopped for a picture.

I took a few. Mostly phone pics.

For posterity. Where it all began. KOA Campground, Gunnison, Colorado. Un1 Headquarters (while the HA commandeered most of the rest of the town). I was passing through Gunny on my way to Salida for L&L's pre-Un gathering, and I pulled off at the KOA and took this shot. Brought back sooo many memories, so many friends. From this, to where we are today, 15 years later.

UnRally%2C%20Where%20It%20All%20Began-XL.jpg

Of course, if I was going to go through Colorado to get to Montana, I had to go through Torrey to get to Colorado (makes sense, right?). Both of these are on UT-12, not far from Bryce Canyon NP.

On%20UT12%20going%20to%20Torrey-M.jpgDixie%20National%20Forest%2C%20Utah-M.jpg

A great sunset.

Torrey%20Sunset-M.jpg

Just got there, checked in, got out of the Stich and kicked off my boots. My swollen 13EE's, breathing a little fresh air on the balcony and looking down on the rushing stream in Red Lodge.

Balcony%20view%2C%20Red%20Lodge-M.jpg

Juan (ONE) and Aline, San Luis Potosi, MX. Drove all the way up through the Mexican and Texas heat, to the northern reaches of the U.S., just for this event. Nicer, kinder people would be hard to find.

Juanand%20Aline-L.jpg

Random UNPhotos....

Many of us rode up to the Clay Butte Lookout tower, just west of the Beartooth pass.

I was chatting with the tower "host" and noticed that all the chairs in the tower have glass insulators on each chair leg.

Turns out that's a safety feature!

During a local thunderstorm, the occupant(s) in the tower are supposed to sit on the insulated chairs. In case of a direct lightning hit, the insulated chairs are there to keep the occupant from getting electrocuted. :eek:

P7282138_zpsptyms578.jpg

Mikko

Random UNPhotos....

Many of us rode up to the Clay Butte Lookout tower, just west of the Beartooth pass.

I was chatting with the tower "host" and noticed that all the chairs in the tower have glass insulators on each chair leg.

Turns out that's a safety feature!

During a local thunderstorm, the occupant(s) in the tower are supposed to sit on the insulated chairs. In case of a direct lightning hit, the insulated chairs are there to keep the occupant from getting electrocuted. :eek:

P7282138_zpsptyms578.jpg

Mikko

Ummm, but your feet are on the ground... :grin:

MB>

P7282138_zpsptyms578.jpg

In a prior life when I was a kid those insulators made for great target practice......unfortunately the power co didn't think it was funny.. :rofl:

If I'm were in a fire tower during a lightning storm, my feet would be on the seat, with my head down and my arms wrapped around my knees as I cried for Momma...

Braver souls can hook their heels on that handy rung.

The few towers I've seen have all had steel frameworks, even around the cabin portion. I suspect the risk of electrical shock is low, with the current being diverted around any tower occupants. Light and sound shock could be pretty impressive.

Mi querido Fer, muchas gracias por tus comentarios - ya sabes que eres bien correspondido.

Great bunch of guys at the Rock Creek Resort and Whipville North, and let me tell you Fer, you are heck of a man and a cook ;)

Juan, that chicken was all prepped by Louise, Amy, Karen and your wife. All I did was put it on the BBQ and watch the timer.

It truly was a great time, though. Both in Salida and in Montana. It was wonderful to meet you and Aline, to see you at breakfast each morning, and to get to practice my rusty Spanish. I hope to see you both at the next western UnRally. It will make the trip worthwhile.

Juan, that chicken was all prepped by Louise, Amy, Karen and your wife. All I did was put it on the BBQ and watch the timer.

It truly was a great time, though. Both in Salida and in Montana. It was wonderful to meet you and Aline, to see you at breakfast each morning, and to get to practice my rusty Spanish. I hope to see you both at the next western UnRally. It will make the trip worthwhile.

Great experience for us Fer, I'll do my best healthwise to go to as many reunions as possible . . . after a 5,794 miles trip, from now on, every place is going to be "close" for us :rofl

Te mandamos un fuerte abrazo!!!!

Archived