IGNORED

Navigator V update issue.

Kitsap

I decided to update the software prior to leaving for the UN and now the unit is stuck in a loop of powering on with the BMW Motorrad logo and then powering off. Any kind words of advice on this issue would be welcome. P.S. I'm not using a Mac.

I assume you are using Garmin Express to manage the updates?

Try being in contact with the Garmin mothership... when they answer 800-800-1020, ask for the OEM unit. This group is trained and familiar with the Nav 5.

Let us hear how it goes.

See you at the UN...

Thanks Hopz.

The fix was, and I'm not sure why it worked, to disconnect and re-connect the on-board battery from the unit and then perform a hard reboot. New maps are on board and the unit functions as advertised.

• 2 weeks later...

This exact situation happened to my friend Tim at Red Lodge last week. He had just bought a 2015 GS with only 500 miles on the clock a few weeks before the UnRally, and it came with a Nav V (from the original owner). Neither the software, nor maps, had ever been updated. Since I had my Macbook with me, Tim asked if we could update software and maps on his Nav V. When we ran the update(s) using Garmin Express, we got into this very same loop. We called Garmin OEM support and they had us run through a variety of things, all to no avail (no, they did not suggest removing the battery). They concluded by asking him to send the unit back to them for replacement, which he did just yesterday.

By the way, if you ever want a direct line to Garmin's OEM Support Group, it's 866-455-7012 (as supplied by Garmin while on the support call).

P.S., can someone remind me how to do a hard re-boot?

Just FYI....

I do not know how to do a hard reboot... sorry.

I did a Map update and some bug fixes yesterday(8/2/16) and it went smooth as butter.

As it often does, using Garmin Express... the message was that the update would take 5+ hours... but actually took about 10 minutes.

I think you can power it on while holding a finger on the lower right part of the screen.

Or if you have screw drivers, you can pull the battery out the back.

Here's what I got from ADVRider regarding performing a "master reset" on the Nav V. I have not tried it, so buyer beware!

- power off device;

- press power button for 5 seconds.

- when boot screen appears, touch and hold lower right-hand corner of display until question appears;

- press "yes" to remove all user data (it won't actually remove all your routes/waypoints/tracks, but it will remove your device settings and recently saved places.

This is what I got in an email from Garmin about doing a master reset on the Nav V:

Note: A master reset may erase all favorites1 and will restore your device to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your favorites to your computer, you can find instructions to do so here.

To perform a master reset on a BMW Motorrad Navigator V device:

1.Start with the device off and unplugged from power

◦To verify the device is powered off and not in standby mode, touch and hold down the power button until prompted to turn off the device

2.Touch and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen

3.Power on the device

4."System" will appear on the screen for approximately 30 seconds

5.Remove your finger when the screen displays Loading...

The device will automatically reset. Follow the on screen prompts to set your locale and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

1Although the master reset may erase all saved favorites, any loaded custom points of interest will remain intact on the device.

FWIW, I did the version 3.30 update on my Nav V. Went smoothly and. The known issue where turn-by-turn audio did not work without first muting and then unmuting audio appears to have been resolved.

Archived