IGNORED

Update From Emotionally Scarred Ex-Multistrada Owner

duegatti

A little over three months on the 2016 RT; 4600 miles.

In short, I'm delighted. First of all, the bike needs no warranty repairs. Everything works on it, consistently and well. I could hardly believe it possible.

And the concern I had that it might not be sufficiently sporting - completely wrong; it's superb. I guess that is just another way of saying that I'm by far the limiting factor in my sporting riding, but I have been on bikes before that slow me down. Not the RT.

It is so serene leaned over. I'm going just as fast on the RT as I was on the 2013 Multi. Or faster, because I'm in the process of learning the bike, and so I'm pushing and probing a little, and I've come to learn that it is way more than my equal. Confidence inspiring, as they say. So I feel like I can go faster. The press will often critique the Telelever, suggesting that it's numb; no feedback. But it gives me everything I need, and does everything I ask it to do in a corner. So I'm left to conclude that whatever it leaves out is noise, to me. I love it.

Recently took it on Route 28 in NC between 74 and Franklin, and it was total fun. That was the most technically demanding riding to date, and it killed it. I may have occasion to go through the Gap on my way somewhere, but I still think I'll wait until next spring to ride the Gap back and forth - it's such a zoo. I hope to go back and forth on the Cherohala on Saturday.

Wore out the Z8's at 4000 miles, which is actually good for me. Am trying PR4 Gt's now; I like them also. Seem much stiffer. Maybe they are slower transitioning in quick left-right-left stuff. Still learning them.

In the next week or two, I'm going to start gearing up for long distance trips with the Nav, Com system, and a Schuberth. I'm becoming one of "those guys". Guess I should get a Klim jacket next. Then some luggage stuff and a long distance seat. Trip should be next spring.

One thing that I'm not wild about - I think this may be a manifestation of the shaft drive line lash. At constant speed, constant throttle, constant rpm, between say 4000 and 6000, worse going down hill, worse in lower gears - I get some "bucking". Almost like a miss, but I don't think that's what it is. Sometimes I can see the tach needle twitch. Sometimes seems connected to bumps in the road, as though the suspension response is creating pulses in the loading on the drive line, if that makes sense. Is this drive line lash?

And of course, it just doesn't have the straight line response of the Multi (lb/hp), but this is just an observation, not a complaint. There are some passes that I don't make with the RT, because I think it will be a little tight. Just not a big deal to me. It's not like the bike is slow.

I love having no chain maintenance. Wash the bike, and don't have to worry about the chain. Ride in the rain, no chain maintenance. I love the luggage with central locking. I use cruise control all the time, to save myself for the fun stuff. The clock keeps time; the fuel gauge works; the rear brake is operational; the mirrors are made of glass; the instrument cover doesn't scratch. The stock high seat is good for a 300 mile day of hard riding. It goes on and on.

I've had six other bikes in 15 years of riding, and there have been some nice honeymoons, but I've never responded to a bike like this. So it has done what I asked about in my first post here - it's restored my love of motorcycling (which the Ducati had beat out of me). I'm happy and grateful.

The constant-throttle no-load driveline lash situation is annoying but manageable. One reason I got rid of my K1600 was because the lash was so bad, the GS is virtually nonexistent by comparison.

I haven't noticed any driveline lash, but I've got a few more miles on my 2014. If it becomes problematic, I'd ask the dealer to take a look. The only to thought that comes to mind is the fact that these engines run very lean. The bike's brain may be cycling from light throttle to off throttle in certain conditions.

So - what I'm describing does sound like lash to you folks?

I'd also say "annoying but manageable". Doesn't happen often, and when it does, it is not a large perturbation. Pretty much, any time I worry about it happening, it doesn't.

I did talk to the very excellent tech when I got my tires, and although I'm not sure exactly how he "took a look" (I think it was just by riding it), he declared that it was normal. Which I can certainly believe and accept.

I have a 2013 RT, and -- you'll love this -- came to it directly from a misbegotten 2011 Multi S Touring (8 warranty issues in the 1st 14 months, including failed Ohlins in one of the fork legs, fried electronic suspension circuitry (which would have been a $2,100 PART if not covered under warranty, unexplained recurring CEL, squishy / soft rear brakes)... Lemon City, but only after about 75 emails to DNA, culminating with a clear resolve to sue & not settle if they didn't take it back. So far, I've got about 24,000 mi. on the RT with nary a twitch, and the riding experience has been much as you've described... with the exception of the bucking\twitching sensation you've observed -- that hasn't been present at all, and don't sound quite right. The only negative thing I can say about my experience with the RT is that it can be a bit wheezy on occasion (I get a "cough" and need to rev a bit to keep from stalling -- an unfortunate side-effect of lean fuel mix) when rolling on from off-throttle -- that's about it, and it doesn't happen very often at all. I would have the dealer check the condition you've described, as it doesn't sound normal -- my tach needle is as steady as they come, and roll-on at speed is as smooth as can be. I also swapped to LiquiMoly synthetic gear & final drive oil at around 9,000 miles and have been using it ever since. The stuff is amazing, and has smoothed out (noticeably, even further) what I think is an already quite smooth drive line. Welcome and congrats -- if you're like me, you'll never look back. Although that KTM 1290 Super Duke GT does seem like it might be a bit of good fun... but as a companion, not a replacement.

I lusted after a '15 Multi but after lurking on the forums and seeing all the issues guys were having I decided not to give in. My wife suggested I try an RT. I did and could not be more satisfied. No drive-line lash noticed at 3K miles . Welcome and enjoy

• 1 month later...

I had a 2007 air cooled Multistrada, 2012 liquid cooled Multistrada and 2015 Mutlistrada. All were fantastic bikes. The current '15 and newer is the Multi that almost replaced the BMW sport touring bikes for me. Yes it did need a software update to fix a flat spot in the power curve but it was hardly noticeable most of the time and Ducati has long since fixed that.

There were some problems I had with each of my Multi's but none were any worse than what I've had with several BMW's. The main reason I did not keep the '15 Multi was I grew tired of having limited dealer choices and long drives to get to the dealer.

I found the current Multistada has come much closer to the comfort and amenities that BMW has excelled at for so many years. At the same time, BMW has brought the RT closer to the performance the Multi has excelled at for many years. The decision for me was very difficult. The Multi was more engaging to ride without the drawbacks of limited comfort and amenities of earlier Multistrada's. If I had a closer or better dealer I'd still have the Multi. The RT is a great ride too and I really love the bike but the Multi does sound and feel even better than the RT for me and the RT is an amazing bike.

Good thing we have these choices. I'm sorry the original poster in this thread did not have a good experience but would still give the current Multi a look if the bike is on your shopping list. Few bikes offer that level of comfort, performance, amenities and handling in such a light and nimble package. If you don't get stuck with a lemon and there don't appear to be many lemons, you could have a bike that is one of the best overall motorcycles.

Here's to having choices and celebrating when we find a bike that fits our needs and wants.

Archived