IGNORED

Front end wobble

Foot

I have just changed and balanced my tires for the 1st Time myself and I have a slight front end wobble at about 30mph. I barely feel the wobble with a normal grip but is more noticable when I hold the bar with a light grip.

The bike is a R1100RT and the tires are AVON ST 45/46's. I put about 70 miles on them today. This is the first time I've had the Avon's on the my bike and I don't have reference feel for the tire. First impressions they have much more stick out of the box than the ME880's that they replaced.

Oh great wrench gods, any ideas?

Alan

No_Twilight

I'm wondering if you're just paying more attention to the bikes feel since you did it yourself. Put it on the centerstand and spin the tire. put your thumb next to it for a reference. It shouldn't move more than about 1/16 side to side or in and out. Did it take much weight to balance it? --jerry

You said it was your first tire change.....Did you bounce the the front wheel before you tightened the axle clamps?

Try loosening the clamps, then get on the bike, off of the stand(s), and bounce up and down on the front wheel while holding the front brake. Then tighten the clamps. This assures the wheel centers and there is no binding in the front end. Good Luck!

The Avon 45/46 combo was notorious for this on the FJR1300 forum. Some people learned to live with it, as they seemed otherwise pretty good tires. They had a reputation for holding up well, and handing well. It'll be interesting to see if anyone else remembers this quirk......

all the best,

Mike

My last Avon front ended up being "castellated" all the way round the centre....really weird. Trying out a set of Z6's at the moment.

I bought the mark parnes balancer and doing this for the first time it seemed to take more weight than when a bike shop did the balance. It took 2 ounces on each wheel. I also just had my wheels powder coated which may have added to the imbalance. I talked to randy on this and he said I should have balanced the bare wheel first, mounted the tire and rechecked the balance. First time mistakes!

Alan

Balancing the wheel before installing the tire makes no sense. Am I missing something here? confused.gif

The tyre has its 'light spot' marked. If you balance the bare wheel including valve stem, and mark the 'heavy spot', it allows you to match the tyres light spot to the wheels heavy spot. This reduces the amount of weight needed to balance the mounted tyre, often eliminating the need for any weights at all.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Boffin, Now it makes sense. Most line the tire mark with the valve stem and then balance. This also explains why my front tire mark isn't aligned with my valve stem from the factory yet doesn't vibrate with no weights at all. Thank you for explaining this to me.

The wobble is gone. I lossened the axle clamps and bounced the front wheel, then torqued the clamps back to specs. I also wore the noticable excess casting ridge off the center of the front tire.

Thanks for the tips.

Alan

Kenny_McCormick

The tyre has its 'light spot' marked. If you balance the bare wheel including valve stem, and mark the 'heavy spot', it allows you to match the tyres light spot to the wheels heavy spot. This reduces the amount of weight needed to balance the mounted tyre, often eliminating the need for any weights at all.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Great tip, thank you.

Archived