IGNORED

Dig my 1100S highway pegs!

Effervescent

I don't know from experience, but seen reported here and other places. Those brackets will stress valve cover bolts and pull the threads right out of the heads.confused.gif

Be careful or will be in the heilcoil club.

DaveyMac

Effervescent

Hmm...I had mostly heard about stripping issue in regards to bolt torque issues while installing. confused.gif

And it does appear they are Hawk Falons. Thanks for that link!

-Eff

No_Twilight

I thought about the stripping issue and I'm not sure what to think. you're putting a shear load (mostly) on the valve covers. I can't remember what locates the covers. I remember the gasket has a lot of cylindrical locaters and if that's all then I would worry about moving the head cover sideways. And of course pushing hard enough would put a tension load on the rear ones. If I were installing these I would just install helicoils in the affected bolts preventatively.

Wish I knew you better as I have lots of good HD jokes to make.

--Jerry

Effervescent
Wish I knew you better as I have lots of good HD jokes to make. -Jerry

Fire away thumbsup.gif

-Eff

PS I actually think the load is kinda on the light side. Certainly more than the valve cover bolts were designed for, but almost all my body weight goes to my butt.

It's more like, "some" of the weight of my legs. The feet rest kinda gingerly on the highway pegs due to the angle of my body and legs.

No_Twilight

PS Adding a helicoil doesn't make a thread joint infinitely strong. It basicly makes it about as strong as the next size bigger in the base material (assuming the helicoil material is much stronger than the base). This is generally more than enough for torquing connections but not necessarily in overload conditions like we may be talking here. good luck, Jerry

russell_bynum

I'm with these guys...I've always worried about the extra load on those flimsy valve cover bolts. The torque spec for them is really low...something like 8nm and it is notoriously easy to overpower them and strip the threads.

Question: With the S, why not just put your feet on the jugs? I do that with Lisa's R1100RS all the time. I can put my feet on there, or stretch out and rest the bottom of my calves on the jugs. I would think that the same thing would work with the S. It doesn't work with the RT because the lower fairing gets in the way.

Archived