IGNORED

Lolo Pass advice?

RT Russ

Yep, I'm hoping to hit Lolo Pass on my way home. Missed it when RT died during Moscow UN.

After I leave Red Lodge I'll be meeting friends at Hebgen Lake/West Yellowstone for a couple of days with plans/hopes for Lolo after that. The big question is, would there be too much traffic on a Sunday on Lolo? Should I hang at Hebgen until Monday for a better ride on Lolo?

AND, what else should I hit in Idaho on the way back? Goodness........I'm wanting to go NOW :clap:

Russ

Russ:

It doesn't really matter much. I've done it from both sides on weekdays and weekends. The most important thing is to get on it early for minimal traffic and less exposure to speed tax collectors.

The Montana side was marked at 70 mph and you can do 10 over the speed limit with minimal chance of a ticket. The Idaho side (50 mph) is just a cash cow for the Idaho State patrol and the Kamiah/Kooskia and Orofino Police.

There is a great little Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center at the top which is worth a few minutes of your time. And real flush toilets.

Mike Cassidy

Russ, do watch your speed. They make a very nice living on out-of-state license plates. But the scenery is gorgeous.

Motobricker

If you are headed back to CA, at Lewiston try to hit the Rattlesnake to Enterprise Oregon, Hwy129 in Washington and Hwy 3 in Oregon. Comes out in Enterprise, then head to LaGrande and I would head to Baker City and over to Prinville. Excellent roads. Spend night in Lewiston, Rattlesnake lives up to its name, twisty, no night drive!!

If you are headed back to CA, at Lewiston try to hit the Rattlesnake to Enterprise Oregon, Hwy129 in Washington and Hwy 3 in Oregon. Comes out in Enterprise, then head to LaGrande and I would head to Baker City and over to Prinville. Excellent roads. Spend night in Lewiston, Rattlesnake lives up to its name, twisty, no night drive!!

Rattlesnake, yeah, I remember part of that :Cool:linky that's where my RT went tits up :dopeslap: butt you're right.....great road!

Russ

Russ:

It doesn't really matter much. I've done it from both sides on weekdays and weekends. The most important thing is to get on it early for minimal traffic and less exposure to speed tax collectors.

The Montana side was marked at 70 mph and you can do 10 over the speed limit with minimal chance of a ticket. The Idaho side (50 mph) is just a cash cow for the Idaho State patrol and the Kamiah/Kooskia and Orofino Police.

There is a great little Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center at the top which is worth a few minutes of your time. And real flush toilets.

Mike Cassidy

Thanks this is good info to have. I've only done this route once before and it was 8 years ago. This is also on my return route. Like Whip, when I did run that road, I didn't see a single LEO the entire route. Obviously thats not the case anymore.

I have never seen a LEO on Lolo or Richard and I would still be in jail.

I believe THAT :thumbsup:

THAT is true! Have you seen the pictures?

We are going that way on the ride up, so I don't plan on seeing Richard for hours! :thumbsup:

Everyone's experiences are different. I saw two of them last time I rode it, and you can ask Mr. Goodrich about his experience with them. I might be mistaken, but they were so impressed with him, they gave him an award.

Y'all may be right. But I'd feel bad if I didn't warn him after I almost got zapped twice, and then if someone got him, too.

wHEN dOC47 and I did the run to Enterprise, OR *Terminal Gravity Brewery* before the UN @ John Day, we went 'breezing' through there and didn't see any LEO's. It was epic.

Granted it was Sunday morning but we cut the rug and made great time.

And "yes" it is spectacular scenery.

And "yes" it is spectacular scenery.

BINGO, John Robert gets it. It is the scenery I am after in this case.......memories? When I was 16 I traveled the country playing music. After a show in Boise I remember the bus driving along a canyon next to a river for what seemed like days (young and my mind was likely "clouded"). Our next show was in Montana so I'm thinking it was Lolo that we traveled and I want to see it again. I missed it after Salida UN when I ended up at Hebgen Lake then Idaho Falls. Woke up the next morning and said, "Eff IT, I'm going home" and rode full tilt boogie back to California. At the Moscow UN the RT took a long nap so I missed Lolo again. 3rd time should be the charm.......I hope :grin:

I wish I was leaving today. I'm actually thinking of leaving Thursday evening and getting a $35 room outside of Reno :grin:

KTM says Ready to Race. Me, I'm just ready to RIDE ride.gif Are we there yet?

Russ

I believe THAT :thumbsup:

THAT is true! Have you seen the pictures?

We are going that way on the ride up, so I don't plan on seeing Richard for hours! :thumbsup:

I will going that way on Sunday from Moscow to Missoula for the night, it will be a scenic ride at my pace.

Ride it both ways then ride it again.

Last time I was on it new blacktop had just been laid down. :clap:

You will soon figure out that the curves have no surprises

or decreasing radius. ride, turn in, hold line and full throttle

out. Well there was that log truck. :dopeslap:

Had the best breakfast ever at a place near the top on the south

side. not sure if it still there.

Have fun.

Oh ya, if you have time the road to Elk City is just as much fun

if the road surface is decent. Check a map.

Archived